News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derailing At Turnouts

Started by eagle37, April 23, 2008, 07:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle37

Can anyone think of a reason why the front wheels of the front truck of my
Bachmann 0-6-0 opens the points of the EZ-track turnouts as it passes over them--of
course resulting in derailing. The problem occurs on all right turnouts--
i.e. as the engine approaches the turnout. The engine navigates the points
o.k. but those front wheels open the points and go over to derail. Making
me crazy!

kevin2083

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Yampa Bob

A 0-6-0 has no "front trucks", just the drivers.  Is the loco moving with the points or against the points? If moving against the points, is the right point all the way tight against the right stock rail?  Are the wheels in gauge? Is the cowcatcher too low catching the points?

Need more input.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

djp

Looks like there is something wrong with the new right hand turnouts. The older model works fine i have 8 in all. Just bought 2 new models and am having a miserable time with them in spite of doing all the filing and grinding. Has anyone used the #5 turnout [right hand] because i think i am going to change to those. I have had enough of these regular right had turnouts.
Get Off My Train !!!

Running Bear

I have several #5 Bachmann turnouts (RH) on my layout and they all work well.
Running Bear

RAM

Are the wheels in gauge?  Is the truck free to turn?  Are all the on the track?  Is the drawbar between the locomotive and tender free to move up and down?

murfling

I have about 50 EZ Track turnouts on my layout, and I have had issues with a few that I'm not sure what to do about.

Upon investigation, I discovered that the pivot pins on some of them are loose, causing the points to rock side to side. If a loco (Or even a certain weighted car in the middle of the train) hits it just right, the points rock enough so the next set of wheels gets in between the point and the opposing rail, and forces it open. Almost instantaneous derailment. Always when approaching it from the diverging side. Usually once a train is on the siding it will come off OK, and I have no problems when approaching it from the other end.

I know this doesn't help you out, but know that you are not alone.

Jonathan

eagle37

Do you think tapping that pivot pin lightly using
a nail-set would tighten it?

I also find the frogs on my turnouts are poorly
designed. Too much space.  Wheels drop in the
spaces like sacks of cement.

eagle37.

murfling

I havn't thought that far ahead. I suppose you could try it. I wish we could get some input from a bachmann engineer ot quality control person.

the Bach-man

Dear Jonathan,
Your dealer (or we) will replace any defective turnout.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rallygsc

The Only Problem I have had is the # 4 turnouts, Bachmann needs to have the frogs redone on them, I used a jeweler's file and fixed the problem.

as for the # 5 switches, I like them a lot, I have had good luck with them.

I think it is the locomotive itself, if it is an older 0-6-0 check if the wheels are loose, bachmann had a bad problem with the crappy plastic sleeves slipping and cracking on them, Bowser made a kit that fixed that problem.

also like the other guy's said gauge the wheels, a lot of times on some locomotives the wheels are properly lined up and they either have a small wobble or not lined up.

Bachmann needs to redo the # 4 switches, get rid of the plastic frogs and put metal ones in like the # 5 switches

take care
George

rocknblues

I just bought 2 turnouts, regular remote, HO scale, EZ Track NS, RH and a LH. My loco negotiates both turnouts just fine, forward and reverse. My B Unit (Dummy) derails everytime at the LH turnout. No other cars will follow the loco either, they derail. I can back up and they won't derail, but heading into the LH turn on the turnout, the wheels jump off. Its like the trucks are not following, or hitting the frog going into the turn, they want to keep going straight. I believe they are the old style, they have rivets. Both LHS I went to, all they had were the old style. Is there a remedy?  Thank you - Rock.
rock :)

SteamGene

Have you tried A unit and cars - no B unit?  Are your cars weighted to NMRA standards? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rocknblues

I have tried without the B Unit, no luck, the only other cars I have are Athearn Heavyweight Passenger cars, they derail as well. I can roll the B Unit by hand with a slight push and it rolls right through, but hooked up to the loco, it derails, I have tried different speeds, same outcome. - Rock
rock :)

SteamGene

Have you added weight to the B unit and the cars or are they "as delivered"?  If the latter, try bringing both  up to NMRA standards and see what happens.  I have an idea there is a slight unevenness in the turnout and the loco is heavy enough to bring it down, but the followers are not. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"