News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

For Bach Man

Started by jesse, March 01, 2007, 09:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse

Mr. Bach Man.  I have a question....maybe two.  I have a Bachmann engine that is a part of the John Wayne Express collection by Hawthorne.  It did not come with any documentation so I don't know if it is DCC ready or not. Is there a way to determine this?  Also, if not, how do I install a DCC receiver? Figured I had better post a picture so you will have an idea of which engine I am talking about.  Also, can you recommend a decoder if needed?  Jesse

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Tomcat

Jesse,

it´s possible to get a Decoder in, don´t know it the Soundtraxx DSD90 or DSD100 are still availabe - but a Tsunami would fit into the Tender Shell together with the Speaker(s).

There are several instructions on the Net, and there have been some on the old Bachmann Messsage Board, though.

The only thing is to get the Boiler Shell off, it´s a bit of tricky work, same if you re-attach the Boiler. You will need to save the Sandin Pipes and Brake Gear from Damage.

Have done this Sound Installation with a C&S No.22 - worked pretty fine.
Using the Tsunamis would give you a full, very real Sound Option, if you asked me - first Choice ever... (No, I don´t get any extra payment from Soundtraxx for praising their Products...)

But they´re great - more than just worth the Money...

Kind regards, Tom

jesse

Thanks for the input Tom.  I'm new at this hobby and am not too familiar with all the different DCC decoders available.  I will be using the EZ Command Controller, and I am not too concerned about the sound as I am with the actual running of the engine,   Forward, Reverse, etcs.  The engine and cars are equipped with lights so I know that I will be using F10 for that function.

Jesse

ksivils

Jesse,

I have long used Tony's Train Exchange for all things DCC related.  You can find their web site by doing a search.

They even have an installation service which you might wish to avail yourself of.

Kevin

jesse

Thanks, Kevin.  I'll look into Tony's service.  In the Air Force I was always told that a good supervisor was one who would always get someone to do something for him, so he would not have to do it himself. I did consider myself a pretty good supervisor.  ;D

Maine 2 Foot

You may not think you will care too much now, but after you hear a Tsunami in your engine, you won't think that way! A word of advice from someone who had to watch his friend learn the hard way....if you do sound, go Tsunami. Otherwise, just run without sound. He spent a lot of money replacing 4 steam loco sound units after he bought a Tsunami equipped Bachmann 2-8-0, and when he sold the old ones on ebay he didn't even get half value for them. It forever will spoil you, as it has lots of others like me.

Vince

kenruof

I too am one who replaced my sound decoders with Tsumani's but thankfully I only had 2 engines done VBG.

I now have 6 with 2 more to do VBG

I just love the Tsunami's, sound and control.

Ken

jesse

Okay, guys.  Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.  It looks like it will be the Tsunami.  Am not sure if I will attempt the conversion myself, but that is what I will choose from a 'modifier'.

Jesse

hminky

I am at the moment putting a Tsunami in the Mogul and should have it on the Pacific Coast Air Line website possibly next week. It will eliminate the double decoder that was in my earlier article. The Tsunami runs locos so much better and the sound is a definite improvment over the LC series.

Harold

jesse

Harold, I'll put everything on the back burner until you come out with your new project.

Thanks,
Jesse