News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-10-2 light change

Started by Ozzie, February 27, 2007, 10:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzie

hi folks can any one help me please.
I have just purchased a bachmann 2-10-2 that runs so well it deserves sound.
Unfortunately I bought a Soundtrax DSD-101LC decoder without reading the on-line manual.
The decoder does not work with LEDs. When the sounds are activated the lights ( depending upon direction) flash.
I have tried connecting the LED from the white/yellow lead to the rail,bypassing the blue, but without avail.
Can anyone suggest a mod to the installation I can try or does it really meen that I have to change the LEDs to bulbs.
If that is the case, the big question is.. How on earth do I get the front of the boiler off to remove the headlight.
regards,
Ozzie

lanny

Ozzie,

I can't help you with your DCC headlight question since I use only DC/Analog. However, as to the boiler front, though I don't own a Spectrum 2-10-2, on all the other Spectrum steam locomotives I have, the boiler front is just 'press-fit' to the boiler.

But, some boiler fronts are much easier to remove (pry?) off than others. I think, with very careful work and patience, you should be able to gentle get the boiler front off. However, please understand, I am suggesting this as the owner of several Spectrum steam locomotives, but their 2-10-2 is not one of them.

best wishes on getting your problem fixed.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Nigel

Ozzie;

You need to put resistors in series with each LED.  The resistance will depend on current draw of the LED, I would start with 1K ohm resistors.

I am not familiar with the particular decoder, and there is a very remote possibility that the decoder needs an additional resistor in parallel with the series resistor - LED network.

I strongly recommend against changing to bulbs due to the heat.  Bulbs put out much more heat than LEDs, and depending on the bulbs you choose, may melt parts of the plastic of the locomotive.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Ozzie

Thanks lanny and Nigel,
I will try Lanny's resistor suggestion.

Nigel, quite frankly your recommendations regarding changing to bulbs has limited my thoughts to two options. Try Lanny's idea and if that does not work, change decoders. I have a bachmann 2-8-0, that has lamps and could benefit from sound.
Thank you. I will let you know how it goes.
regards.