News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MTH HO Triplex Drive Wheels

Started by chuff_n_puff, May 07, 2008, 05:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginian

I have been running traction tires for 30 years with no continuity problems.  But I don't oil my track.  And I thought Wahls was bad.
"What could have happened... did."

mdtell

I have no continuity problems and I only run the Triplex with train at 10 scale miles an hour, the same as the prototype.  I do run my other trains at much faster speeds; all without problem.  I have 33 inch minimum radius on my layout but I do not oil the track.  I do not have noise, binding or derailment problems from dry track and my train has a mixture of metal and plastic wheels.  There is some crud build-up at turnout points but I watch for that and remove it with a track cleaning block.  I think if you dry your track and put the traction tire drivers on your Triplex you will find it to be a very smooth and good puller.

SteamGene

Discontinue 3 in 1 NOW!  I don't see how in the world clean, dry rails would cause derailment problems. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

About the onlything that makes sense to put on track is goo-gone or Wahl's oil.  Anything else is ixnay!
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Hunt

Quote from: r.cprmier on May 19, 2008, 09:33:45 AM
About the onlything that makes sense to put on track is goo-gone or Wahl's oil.  Anything else is ixnay!
Rich and others,
Actually for the purpose being used by chuff_n_puff the 3-IN-ONE oil is better than Goo Gone. In fact Goo Gone is very poor choice as it is not a lubricant. But then neither is the 3-IN-ONE oil a good choice based on the way chuff_n_puff was applying it.

Yes, Rich, I know you are not suggesting Goo Gone be used as a lubricant.

Since 3-IN-ONE oil will attack some plastics, but not all types of plastics, I generally tell folks not to use 3-IN-ONE oil in model railroading.

Some history â€" many years ago 3-IN-ONE oil was used by the O-Gaugers. You will find instructions to use 3-IN-ONE oil in some of the old Lionel manuals. But back then, there was no plastic in the locomotives or track.

Reminder: Here is what I have written about Goo Gone,
“If wheels very dirty use Goo Gone (not recommended for use on rubber traction tires) all-purpose cleaner in place of the alcohol [isopropyl alcohol] and gauze pad in place of the towel. After wheels are clean then spin wheels on dry towel to remove the cleaner residue. If you are using DCC make an extra effort to remove the cleaner residue. Finish with very, very small amount of conductive contact lube on each metal driving wheel tread and electric pick-up rub points.”

chuff_n_puff

That was some good info. I found out a long time ago that goo gone left too much residue. I use a product by Aerocar that is a track cleaner and conditioner for DCC trains and it does a great job and claims to help on better continuity with DCC. I have had several people recommend Wahl clipper oil for lubricant, but had an old tech tell me today that he has used Johnson and Johnson baby oil for lubricant on rails in curves for a long time and it worked great and was plastic friendly. As long as I don't have to start burping my trains, I guess it will work!

Hunt

chuff_n_puff,
With minimum 33" curve radius and nickel silver rail I am unsure about your need to lubricate the curves.

I have detected no need for any oil on nickel silver track railheads. Sure very, very thin film of certain types of oil on aluminum, brass, or steel railheads retards corrosion of them but oil not needed on nickel silver railheads. Unless, depending on the alloy or metal used to make the wheels, the oil on track could help keep a thin coating on electrical pickup wheel treads to retard corrosion and electrical arc pitting on them.

If you are having electrical conductivity issues oiling the track I suspect is only masking the actual source(s) of the issue.

Check your MTH locomotive using info in http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2008/011008.htm

Atlantic Central

chuff,

Over my 30 years in the hobby I have know many modelers who use the Wahl clipper oil with great results.

I personally prefer dry rails and have never had pitting or pickup problems with nickel silver track.

Like Virginian, I have and like my locos with traction tires - another reason to stay with dry track.

I do use goo gone to clean dirty wheels but like Hunt sugests, I clean it off throughly before running trains.

Having done lots of testing regarding pulling power, I have never seen track lubrication to be good or necessary.

Sheldon