News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

fitting tender light

Started by robert, May 05, 2008, 10:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert

I have a Bachmann DCC 4-8-4 GS4 Steamer and the light has come out of the small connector at the end of the orange and brown wires in the tender.
It appears to be a LED so which way around should it be refitted. Long leg to the red or to the brown?
Thanks I need an answer PDQ if possible
Robert

prebres

This isn't an answer per se, but a means to an answer.

Put your meter on the wires, check the voltage. If it's positive, the red probe is the hot wire. If  you get a negative reading, switch them.

Next check out LEDs online, I think the cathode is is short leg, but check. Be sure. Now see whether the hot wire goes to the anode or the cathode.

Yampa Bob

The LED should have a flat spot on one side, the wire closest to the flat is the cathode, which goes to the positive lead.  Some may have a dot on the cathode side.

I believe Paul is correct, short pin is cathode.
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 05, 2008, 11:19:46 PM
The LED should have a flat spot on one side, the wire closest to the flat is the cathode, which goes to the positive lead.
Bob

Yes, the flat spot indicates the cathode of monochromatic diodes.  But no, it does not go to the positive lead.  It goes to the negative lead.  This is exactly the reverse of a battery where the cathode is positive and the anode is negative.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

If it does not light in one direction, switch the leads. That is what I do with LEDs if my guess was wrong.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Jim is correct, cathode to negative.  Too many years working with solar panels, where bypass diodes are wired cathode to positive.
Bob 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.