News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

converting to sound

Started by bill aston, May 04, 2008, 03:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill aston

I recently purchased a Bachmann HO 82121 Spectrum 4-8-4 class J N&W # 610 locomotive. It came dcc equipped and I am interested in adding a sound system if able to. Is this possible, how is this accomplished? Also, possible prices involved with this. Can a regular guy with not much expierence do this?

SteamGene

It is fairly easy to convert to sound.  The EASIEST way - not necessarily the best, is to buy an MRC sound decoder, which comes with speaker.  You remove the 'as delivered" decoder, watching where the red wire pin's socket is, and attach the MRC decoder, putting the red wire pin in the same socket.  You may need to drill out the coal load and/or drill a hole in the bunker slopesheet.  With any luck, you will not have to cut the capacitor(s). 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

I hesitated at first to answer his question without asking a question myself. do you have a DCC system ? i have seen infrared controlled sound systems in the market fo DC power locomotives.
W

Yampa Bob

I ran a sound equipped Bachmann loco on DC before I even bought my EZC. The chuff rate was perfectly timed, even if the wheels slipped, very realistic.  My only complaint was the perceived source of the sound.

I was told by some that it is physically impossible to put the speaker in the loco, well, Tony's Trains does it all the time with excellent results.  I'm one of those types that nobody tells me I can't do something, as long as it's legal and non fattening.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bill aston

Mark Damien

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 05, 2008, 12:00:51 AM
I ran a sound equipped Bachmann loco on DC before I even bought my EZC. The chuff rate was perfectly timed, even if the wheels slipped, very realistic.  My only complaint was the perceived source of the sound.

G'Day Bob.
Was that a Factory fitted Tsunami in your Bachmann loco?
If so, was it "factory original" or had it been modified?

I'm just asking, as I have five [factory] Bachmann Tsunami locos, & the chuff rate is so far out on all of them, it's beyond a joke. I have reprogrammed two, but although the chuff was reasonably sync'd on level ground without a load, I cannot find any way of compensating for the addition of an incline or load.
I have stopped buying any more Bachmann Tsunami locos as a consequence.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Yampa Bob

It came factory installed, and the chuff was very good.  Now, I didn't get my nose down to the wheels to check the actual timing as some might do.  I have lousy eyesight so the chuff seemed to match the speed and load.

My tracks are all flat, and I rarely pull over 10 cars, and since I'm not a big sound fan, I couldn't tell someone whether is was right or not.  :D

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.