News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

suggestions for the New E60s to the Bachmann

Started by Simon Greasly, May 08, 2008, 09:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Greasly

I've been poking around ebay lately and discovered a rare gem a vintage Bachmann E60 decked out in Rock Island paint don't believe me check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290228623067
so now this brings up an interesting question will bachmann get their E60's decked out in fantasy paint schemes here. okay i know that most of us don't care for locomotives that are in color schems that they never appered in but i do i think they give an interesting insight to what could have happened so i think that Bachmann should get their e60's decked out in the following paint.

1. Rock Island
2. NJ transit
3. Conrail (Williams Bachmann's latest add used to make an E60 painted like this)
4. New Haven(I think Williams also makes this.)
5. Santa Fe(call me crazy but their are just no ATSF Electrics out there and i think there should be.)

So please bachmann take a look into this suggestion and let's see if we cannot get back to the classics.

Simon a man who cares about the classic Bachmann

EDIT: Little It of an Edit here after some more research I've discovered that the Bachmann not only produced E60CPs back in the day but also their single cab predecessors in nonetheless Santa Fe and Chessie system any chance of bring those back to the forefront Bachmann?
Simon
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

D.Harrison

EDIT: Little It of an Edit here after some more research I've discovered that the Bachmann not only produced E60CPs back in the day but also their single cab predecessors in nonetheless Santa Fe and Chessie system any chance of bring those back to the forefront Bachmann?
Simon

Simon.you'd better  recheck that information with care.  You'll probably find that those prior E60s were made by ANOTHER company.  I'll give you some time to do some research...I believe in the self-help, self reliance philosophy, .,

David Harrison

john tricarico

hi simon
there was a company called AMERICAN something
i know i have 2 of there units in my collection
1 is an E60 in new haven and the other in E60CF
in penn central
there on athearn drive and had better pantographs
than the early bachmann units 
dont forget the last version of the E60   the E60m

the new bachmann E60 is an improvement over
the past units   

if i shrinks my picture file down i may be able
to share some good E60 pictures  in this forum

good luck  john t  brooklyn ny

Conrail Quality

Okay, I'll try to clarify things. Between 1972 and 1976, the Black Mesa & Lake Powell RR, and isolated power plant RR in Arizona, ordered six E60C locomotives from GE. The had only one cab and one pantograph.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=84864
Bachmann has produced an accurate model of this locomotive in HO scale, but the paint schemes (Chessie and Santa Fe) were ficticious. Bachmann erroniously called their model a E60CF instead of an E60C.
http://tycotrain.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bach_e60cf_atsf.jpg

In the early 1970's, the Burlington Northern drew up plans to electrify some of its mainlines, and it went far enough that the BN 1975-76 annual has an artist's concept of what these locomotives owuld look like. A company named American GK produced models of these from the picture, and when American GK went bankrupt sometimes in the early 1980's, Walthers bought and marketed the line. Both Walthers and American GK referred to these as E60CF.
http://members.aol.com/e44e33/project/bne60.htm

In the mid-1970's, Amtrak wanted to replace its fleet of GG-1's with something more modern, preferably smoething cheap (i.e. an adaptation of an already existing design). GE came foward with its idea of adapting the E60C for passenger service. Amtrak liked it, and bought 7 E60CP's and 19 E60CH's. The CP's had steam heat for older passenger cars, while the CH's had head-end power generators for newer equipment, like the Amfleets which were arriving about the same time. Both American GK and Bachmann claimed to make models of the E60CP. Bachmann's is accurate(although poorly detailed), while American GK's is much closer to a E60CH (the external difference between the two types is the arraingment of the fans on the roof).
http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/e60.shtml

Two other types of E60's, the E60C-2 and E60MA also existed. The E60C-2 was a freight E60 produced by GE for export to Mexico. There's a long and ongoing saga involving these locomotives, which I'm not going to get into here. Amtrak eventually rebuilt 13 of its E60CP's and CH's into E60MA's. Neither of these have ever been modeled.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

john tricarico

tim

thank you for the detailed report on the E60 series

perhaps someday bachmann will add this 'to the SPECTRUM line

good luck   john t  brooklyn ny

Daylight4449

funnily enough, i almost bought that item right after it was listed, way befoe i saw this post. i decided no.