News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best price vs best made - rail / switches.

Started by JohnDocker, May 10, 2008, 01:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDocker

Guys n gals,

For a small logging layout I'm thinking of going with HO Flex track and hand throw switches.  Any suggestion on which is brand is better, less hassels?

Thank you
JohnDocker

jpipkin

I did a small industrial layout and used Atlas code 83 track with every two ties removed.  The track may look too light for a logging layout with eight wheel cars.  I use small locomotives and four wheel cars.

Jim

0n30nutz

I usually use Atlas track, sectional and/or flex, depending on the situation. Removing every other tie is an option some say gives a more realistic appearance. I've done both...
  The best thing about Atlas track and turnouts, is you can get 'em at any LHS when you wind up short pieces. I don't know about you, but when I'm laying track, I don't want to have to wait days ordering should I make a mistake or am short. :P

Howard

If it ain't steam, it ain't
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

br549

Atlas HO code 83 you bet! remove every other tie . cost effective  and easy to obtain.
My rail is all hand laid but for the easy way for the beginner, atlas 100%.
have fun! :D

OCDoug

Hi John, Micro Engineering makes a beautiful On30 flex track in code 70 and I think 83 with the proper spacing and looks right. They also make turnouts,check them out. The turnouts can do DCC too. This track looks so much better than HO. Not to offend anyone just a personel preference. Good luck with your new layout and have fun. OCDoug.

OldStone

John:
In my experience......Atlas code 100 is, by far, the least expensive.  If you can doctor this up so that it doesn't offend you, you might, on a medium sized layout, save enough to buy a sound-equiped loco.  This assumes you plan the layout to the point that you can buy all the flex track at one time.  Dealers like to sell it by the box (25 pieces) and will give an even better discount for 4 boxes (100 pieces).  If some of the layout is high enough, far enough from the eye, or in tunnels....you can at least economize there.
You can save big bucks and end up with a beautiful effect by hand laying your track....but if you're my age..."You ain't gonna live long enough" ....unless, of course, your layout is small.

For those like us who prefer hand-throwing turnouts (like the real RR's did it) I recommend Peco.  They have a very positive spring-action and good quality.  No need for turtles, hares, tortises, or other expensive wildlife and their attendant wires and switches (some folks spend a lot more on this stuff than on the turnouts themselves).

Cheers, OldStone

The Old Fardt

Not to stir things up but there is another brand of track that works just fine plus it's a lot cheeper...

Model Power Nickel Silver code 100 flex 3 footers. I paid $140 for a box of 100 pieces delivered..
Look at an ad from one of the big discounters in Model Railroader magazine.
I use DCC and no problems, neither have I ever cleaned the track other than wiping off the dust once in a while.

Your mileage may differ,

TOF

br549

No offence taken ;). He asked for a low cost & quick . If  in fact I ever build another 0n30 layout it would most likely be Micro engineering 0n30 flex & switches. I do enjoy my handlaid and it looks and works great but the ease of laying ME 0n30 track would be my next choice.
Cant beat it it looks really good! :)