Main Menu

Nscale SD45 Spectrum

Started by Peter Webster, May 10, 2008, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Webster

I have just recently bought an SD45 and want to convert it to
1- micro trains couplers
2- DCC
I intend to hardwire and saw the article on this bulletin board but my main problem is how to get the shell off. Can someone please help?

fieromike

Quote from: Peter Webster on May 10, 2008, 09:13:11 PM
1- micro trains couplers
2- DCC
I intend to hardwire and saw the article on this bulletin board but my main problem is how to get the shell off. Can someone please help?
No guarantee here, but try removing the screws that hold the fuel tank cover in place.  Under the tank cover, there should be two(?) more screws that actually hold the shell to the frame.  Like I said, no guarantee, but that is how the Dash-8 locos are set up.

Mike

fieromike

Quote from: Peter Webster on May 10, 2008, 09:13:11 PM
1- micro trains couplers
2- DCC
Hold the presses!
If your engine has body mount couplers. remove the screws that hold them to the frame, then the body should lift off without too much fuss.  A lot of engines have 4 'nubs' that protrude from the frame and fit into small depressions in the body to hold everything together.  Some are quite tight fitting.  Is the paperwork that came with the engine any help?

Mike

Peter Webster

Thanks Guys but the fuel tank cover is only clipped on and there are not any screws underneath.
I have already removed the body mount couplers but the body is still as tight as...
I do have a copy of the conversion article from Feburary by"r0bert" who shows the conversion but not the shell removal.
Thanks anyway I keep trying
Peter Webster

Peter Webster

Success at last! After much grunting and holding my tongue out of the corner of my mouth the shell finally came free. Yes it was the screws holding the couplers in
Thanks all
Peter Webster

fieromike

Quote from: Peter Webster on May 12, 2008, 07:20:47 AM
Success at last! After much grunting and holding my tongue out of the corner of my mouth the shell finally came free. Yes it was the screws holding the couplers in
Thanks all
Peter Webster
If you feel you might need to back in there again, you can file a bit off of those nubs so that they don't hold so tightly.  Just don't get carried away!