Started by jmarshj7, May 12, 2008, 12:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmarshj7

Hello all,

I am trying to find pictures,plans or schematics for an 1875 4-4-0
Steam locomotive. Would very much like to know what the backhead of the
above mentioned type of  loco. would have looked like, levers,throtle
etc. Any help what so ever would be appreceiated. I have a photo of the
4-4-0 loco. which I am uploading as an attachement.

Take care,
Jim Marsh Sr.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yampa Bob

Hi Jim
I did some searching last night, and found one site in Finland that may help, has lots of original shop drawings. 

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~animato/3003/index3003.html

Reverser:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/animato/transferseu/3003p.html

There are several restored Americans in museums.  They might let you do some up close research and take pictures.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

Here are some photos I had in my PC. It is probably an 1890 loco since it has air brakes. No loco would have had an air compressor in 1875.
Locos went through a lot of rebuilding so even a photo taken of a loco of that time that still exist, you would not see what it looked like in 1875. Someone do doubt could explain how it really looked.

Rich

Yampa Bob

According to this site, the first air brake was installed on a Pennsy 4-4-0 and demonstrated on April 13, 1869, the same year Westinghouse invented it.

http://www.sdrm.org/history/timeline/

Same site says that in 1876, all SP and CP passenger cars converted to air brakes.

But since the net is mostly "garbage in garbage out", who knows for sure?  Another site said the air brake wasn't invented until 1872. 

I'm glad my train research is almost over, the more I read the less I know.  LOL
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jmarshj7 on May 12, 2008, 12:41:17 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to find pictures,plans or schematics for an 1875 4-4-0
Steam locomotive. Would very much like to know what the backhead of the
above mentioned type of  loco. would have looked like, levers,throtle
etc. Any help what so ever would be appreceiated. I have a photo of the
4-4-0 loco. which I am uploading as an attachement.

Take care,
Jim Marsh Sr.

If you can get hold of a copy of Mallory Hope Ferrell's book on the Virginia & Truckee, it includes line drawings of the "Reno," as built in 1872. The drawings include a rear view of the cab that shows the backhead. In the book that drawing is kind of small, but you could probably enlarge it on a photocopier. The photos don't load on my PC here at work, but I would imagine the controls were pretty "standard" on eight-wheelers built in the early to mid-1870s.

ebtnut

You might also go over to the On3 group at on3@yahoogroups.com and post your question there.  I suspect several of the regulars on that board have photos of the cab interior of the locomotive "Eureka", which fits right in with your time frame.  She makes occasional appearances on the D&SNG.