News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radius minimums for HO Steam Locos

Started by steamer6060, May 15, 2008, 05:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Since my  4-8-4  FEF  came packed with  22" Radius  track I would assume that is the Minimum  for that type of  Engine  anything larger would require a  larger radius .  I would also assume that a #5 turnout would also be the minimum  , and would probably  prefer a #6 for crossover use.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on May 30, 2008, 09:34:17 AM
Since my  4-8-4  FEF  came packed with  22" Radius  track I would assume that is the Minimum  for that type of  Engine  anything larger would require a  larger radius .  I would also assume that a #5 turnout would also be the minimum  , and would probably  prefer a #6 for crossover use.

Who is the manufacturer of the 4-8-4? Did not realize that this engine was being offered in a set.
Pacific Northern

EL PARRo

I've got a section of track on my layout with a 15" radius. My Spectrum 0-6-0T handles it well, but my 3-truck Shay derails. I think a 18" radius would be suitable for the Shay. My Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler handles it like a champ, though. The rest of my layout has 24" radius curves, so I can run pretty much whatever I want, though my biggest locomotive at the moment is a Spectrum Light Mountain.

RAM

I think The Mantua 2-6-6-2 (tender model) is a model of a Sierra Railway # 38.

Jhanecker2

To Pacific Northern :  The Manufacturer is Bachmann . The Set is Overland Limited , Product Code : 00614 , Road Name : Union Pacific , Price :$250.00
I hope that information Helps .  I had to look up what type of 4-8-4 it was in some of my train books as I don't remember that was specified in the literature . Please note this is a DC Set. Currently this is my largest steam engine  and  I admit will  influence  my  track layout if I ever get a design finalized.   It came with freight  cars , but  I have puchased  a heavy-weight set of Bachmann  UP passenger cars. 

jimw51

Quote from: EL PARRo on May 31, 2008, 01:43:31 AM
I've got a section of track on my layout with a 15" radius. My Spectrum 0-6-0T handles it well, but my 3-truck Shay derails. I think a 18" radius would be suitable for the Shay. My Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler handles it like a champ, though. The rest of my layout has 24" radius curves, so I can run pretty much whatever I want, though my biggest locomotive at the moment is a Spectrum Light Mountain.

You have the same locos as me, except my 0-6-0T is an MDC.  My shay handles an 18-inch radius, but if I were making a new layout, I'd use 22-inch.

SteamGene

Remember that builder X's loco type A may handle a certain minimum radius while builder Y's version of loco type A may not. 
A Rivarossi C&O H-8 will work on 18" radius curves.  But brass models with a stationary rear engine might very well not.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

Usually a "blind" middle driver helps bigger steam locos go around on tight curves.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific