News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound in Davenport

Started by smokinporter, May 17, 2008, 03:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinporter

Hi all I tought some of you would be interested about putting sound in the Davenport.
Check out the MRC Sounder for a great sounding Chip, it is small and easy to put in the Bachmann "Davenport" The chip goes in front of the motor and the speaker goes in the cab mounted to the roof. If anyone is interrested let me know and I will send you some pics.
Have fun,
Smokinporter :)

OGReditor

Hmm... how about you doing a short how-to on installation, complete with step-by-step photos, and I'll look into publishing it in our Oct. issue, which will be featuring narrow gauge, and primarily On30.  E-mail is editor@ogaugerr.com

I'm not familiar with the Sounder, but I have heard a bit about it and would be interested in installing it in one of my own "critters."

Allan

Allan Miller
Editor-in-Chief
O Gauge Railroading magazine

gnfan

I used a Loksound Micro decoder in one of mine. I cut out the front plastic grill and used a piece of fine brass wire mesh as front grill and put the Loksound speaker in the nose of the Davenport. The small oval speaker fits in neatly right in the front of the Davenport.

David

epeorus

Smokinporter,

I'll second that request for that article on installing the Sounder.  I've got a gas-mechanical or two that are desperately in need for some sound.  I know that Allan will be happy to publish your article.

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

smokinporter

OK
I Will do it.
Have Fun,
Smokinporter ;)

peterherron

Looking forward to your how to.  Which Sounder decoder did you use for it? Also, what motor sounds does it make??  Curious.

kendoitall

If you're taking a vote, include me as being VERY interested. Tony's Trains says all you have to do is "simply "hook-up" two wires to the track power pickup points in the loco." Sounds easy, but what points are they talking about?
???

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

smokinporter

Hi All,
Just finished sending info to O-Gauge magizine. but for right now I will try to answer some of your questions.
First off I used the MRC "Sounder" 0001662 sound decoder which has two selectable synchronized diesel prime mover with random associated locomotive sounds. I know the little Davenport was a gas engine when it came out, but as they wore out and needed ovehauled the owners selected to put in diesel truck engines.
Second, this is for Ken, the points that "Tonys" speak of are located on the circuit board on top of the motor. They are two black plastic fasteners that hold the red wire and black wire coming from the wheel wipers, use a pair of small needle point pliers or a 6 inch tweezer and pull the  fasteners place the wires fron the chip according to color code and replace the fasteners.
It is a real easy project to put sound in the "Bachmann" Davenport.

Have Fun,
    Wes AKA Smokin-Porter

kendoitall

Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

smokinporter

Hi All,
I did more research on the diesel engine used in the Davenport, it was a Caterpiller D-17000 and even found a sound file.
Have fun,
Wes :)

FrankS

VERY interested in how-to put sound in the Davenport !!!
Can you let us know when the magazine article appears, and how we foreigners (Australia) can obtain a copy.
Thanx,
FrankS
Tasmania,
Australia

amatore

For those of of us that just can't wait for the article to come out could you offer a few tips?

I've taken the cab off, but the hood seems stuck or attached to something. If I could get the hood off I figure that I shouldn't have any trouble hooking up two wires.

I figure that a small notch at the back of the hood would allow enough room for the two wires to the speaker in the cab? MRC states that speaker is 28mm, looks like it would be a tight fit to glue it to the roof of the cab?

I would love to get sound installed in a couple of Davenports and lash them up into a double or even tripple header.

Thanks

amatore

Okay, got the hood off. Had to wiggle it back and forth a bit.

Well, I was wrong about hooking up two wires. Not sure where they would go. There's alot of stuff there, and I've never been good with electronics (I've managed to shock myself several times over the years).

Smokinporter, could you maybe post a photo or two on where the wires should go?

Thanks

0n30nutz

If you are adding a sound decoder only decoder as the Sounder it is fairly easy.
On the Davenport, or any BMann loco for that matter, find the connection points on the circuit board for the Black and Red power leads. You can solder the additional decoder to those points. Be careful not to let solder run between other soldered points, you will have problems if you do...Many of us have fried a decoder or two...
  You're done....All you have to do is program accordingly.... ;D

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

amatore

I'm ready to jump in.

What programing do I have to do? I have Bachmann's EZ Command.