News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rivarossi Allgeghney

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, February 28, 2007, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

Anyone have one of theses yet? I ask because I bought one today($300) and I noticed one big flaw...the spare cab thats supposed to have a diffrent road number had the same road number as the one already installed.... besides that its a great looking locomotive. I'll post pics if you guys want to see it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

chucknlead

I bought one about a month ago. I'll have to check the road number of the other cab. I put a lenz Silver series back emf decoder in her and she runs great. Does't pull as much as my BLI Texas type or BLI Duplex. Adding extra weight would fix that if I was that concerned. I love it!
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

rdg5500

The Alleghany made by Rivarossi had the road #1633 on both cab versions (long & short). The new model (by Hornby) uses road #1629. Haven't seen the new version, so I can't say if there are two cabs included. If there are two cabs, I would think they both would have the same number.

Virginian

The two cabs are different lengths, not two different numbers.  Where did you get the idea there were two different numbers?  If they had some sense they would make an undecorated version and sell a few to VGN modelers.  Oh, and hang a reasonable price tag on it, too.
"What could have happened... did."

SteamGene

Virginian is correct.   The installed cab is short to allow it to waddle around 18" curves.  The other cab is prototype.  To change the number one would need to renumber the tender and all the number boards on the smokebox as well. 
While there were a few differences between the C&O and Virginian 2-6-6-6s, I would think doing an undecorated, or even doing one with Virginian lettering would be a smart thing to do.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

I will cast my vote for the undecorated idea. If they offer it undecorated I will buy one and if they lower the price even just a little I will buy two or three, not just one.

Serveral in our group have them and they do look and run nice. They pull well also. Not quite as well as the Broadway Class A or Y6b, but close.

Yes, at something under $300 and undecorated, I would buy a few. Are you listening Hornby? Or are you stuck in your European Think?

Sheldon

BaltoOhioRRfan

Hmm, me and my supervisor spent a good bit of today trying to find the diffrences between the cabs and couldn't find any. Compared them side by side and still couldnt find anything

Oh i had the pleasure of test running one for a customer today...i barely touched the throttle before she started moving....
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

rdg5500

If you have the Rivarossi model (#1633), the difference in the cab is the rear overhang. Can't say whether the Hornby model supplies two cabs.

chucknlead

Quote from: atlanticcentral on March 01, 2007, 08:47:38 AM

and if they lower the price even just a little I will buy two or three, not just one.

Sheldon

Any worthy hobby shop would make a deal with you for a multiple purchase.

SteamGene

"My supervisor and I..."  Look at the cab roof.  If one isn't longer, you've got an error.  Maybe I need to install the prototypical cab tomorrow to verify.  Or should I lay yard track....
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

DrDialtone

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on February 28, 2007, 07:42:50 PM
Anyone have one of theses yet? I ask because I bought one today($300) and I noticed one big flaw...the spare cab thats supposed to have a diffrent road number had the same road number as the one already installed.... besides that its a great looking locomotive. I'll post pics if you guys want to see it.

I saw one at my local hobby shop. The detail was very impressive. It is also a very large loco. It dwarfs my 2-6-6-2.

Atlantic Central

DrDialTone,

The 2-6-6-2 was a small loco compared to an Allegheny and power wise the 2-6-6-2 was similar to a modern Northern like a N&W J or a Reading T-1, but the Northerns where much faster.

The 2-6-6-2 is 1918 tech, the Allegheny and the Northerns are 1940's tech, way more advanced.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I compared models of the C&O H-5, H-6, and K-4.  The H's were only a tad longer than the 2-8-4, though I admit that moth the H-5 and H-6 had "as delivered" tenders.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

DrDialtone

Quote from: atlanticcentral on March 02, 2007, 11:25:44 AM
DrDialTone,

The 2-6-6-2 was a small loco compared to an Allegheny and power wise the 2-6-6-2 was similar to a modern Northern like a N&W J or a Reading T-1, but the Northerns where much faster.

The 2-6-6-2 is 1918 tech, the Allegheny and the Northerns are 1940's tech, way more advanced.

Sheldon

Thanks for the back ground. It would really be nice if Bachman included a little bit of history like Proto does about their loco's. Like I said before I loved the detail. Looks like a quality loco. ;D

chucknlead

I also have the Bachman spectrum usra 2-6-6-2. It looks good going around 22" and 28" curves and is a tad bit more detailed.