News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rivarossi Allgeghney

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, February 28, 2007, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I'm not sure the Spectrum USRA light Mallet is more detailed than the Riv Allegheny.  The one is a 1918 design, the other 1943.  Lots of fittings that were external in 1918 were covered in 1940. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mark Damien

Quote:
"Yes, at something under $300 and undecorated, I would buy a few.
Sheldon"
===================================================
Sheldon,
I don't know about undecorated but you can get one for $299 from
www.discounthobbywarehouse.net/
"Rivarossi Allegheny $299 #1633"
Bit-a-paint, bit-a-weatherin', i'ud be a charmer.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Virginian

Yeah, but those raised numbers on the front board are a pain in the you know what, as is trying to avoid a total repaint and still ending up with a nice looking locomotive.  I have not had the best of luck removing numbers a la Q-tip.  Rivarossi paint is really tough too, unless they have changed it.
"What could have happened... did."

Mark Damien

Quote from: Virginian on March 10, 2007, 12:08:14 PM
Yeah, but those raised numbers on the front board are a pain in the you know what, as is trying to avoid a total repaint and still ending up with a nice looking locomotive.  I have not had the best of luck removing numbers a la Q-tip.  Rivarossi paint is really tough too, unless they have changed it.

Virginian,
Yeah, you're right, I forgot about numbers on the front board. If someone wanted 1638, it could be possible to doctor it, from 1633..... at a stretch.....maybe.......if severely weathered......?
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Mark Damien

Detailing on the Allegheny was quite good, I thought. I have the original Rivarossi from 2002. It has the usual list of details we are all used to now, like....
•   Includes two detailed locomotive cabs: The standard cab comes attached for operation on sharp-radius curves, or optional prototype length version for display or operation on wide-radius curves.
•   Hand-applied piping
•   Tender truck chain
•   Blackened metal wire handrails, rods and drivers
•   White tires on all wheels
•   Working headlight and backup light on tender
•   Operating tender water hatches which reveal detailed water bunker interior
•   Fully detailed, authentically painted cab interior
•   Opening sliding cab roof vents
•   Firebox glow lighting effects
•   Brass bell, whistle and poppet valves
•   Prototypically profiled tender coal load
•   Etched metal builder's plate
•   Sliding, painted cab windows
•   Realistic matte finish which lends itself well to weathering
•   Razor sharp lettering and striping
•   Attractive, protective display packaging, complete with history booklet, numbered certificate of authenticity suitable for framing

But my ALL TIME FAVOURTITE......

•   Positionable butterfly firebox doors

You won't see that one very often.
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

BaltoOhioRRfan

•   Attractive, protective display packaging, complete with history booklet, numbered certificate of authenticity suitable for framing

Mine didn't come with any of those....
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Atlantic Central

Mark,

I will explain again, I want undecorated or unlettered so I can letter it for my own freelanced road. Unpainting or repainting these models is a lot of work. Spraying over the lettering always leaves shadows. In my perfect world, someone would start making undecorated steam locos like the Athearn and Proto diesels where the undecorated versions have the details not assembled so thaey can be painted correctly as desired by the modeler.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sheldon,
As the Atlantic Central retains steam as the C&O and B&O divests it, the AC buys second hand and repaints.  Yes, with certain light and angles the former owner's lettering comes through.  Just like in the real world.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Gene,

That certianly is a plausable senerio, and I may consider that. Up to now the premise has been similar to the N&W except that in the 40's we out sourced some steam bulding to the other roads with big shops (hence the N&W designed 2-6-6-4 and the Reading T-1)

Since ALCO built the Algeghney's, and we already buy a lot from ALCO, I was leaning toward the Atlantic Central being the third road to buy the design when new.

But who knows, if the mood and a money fall together one afternoon - anything is possible.

Sheldon

SteamGene

B&O Fan,
The original box from Rivarossi contained paperwork the new one does not.  The first trick is to look at the two boxes.  The Riv box is larger than the Hornsby box.  The Riv box contains an instruction sheet in English, Italian, French, and German on how to dissasemble, add the scale cab, insert the decoder, add the tender truck chains, etc.  It also has the "certificate, suitable for framing" and the history.  All of this is missing in the new box.  Gained is the fact that the decoder plug is now in the tender, making it much easier to install sound.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Mark Damien

Sheldon,

No need to explain. I remembered you mentioned as one of your criteria, being under $300. I know it does not meet the rest. But I thought I'd let you know  :) 

Regarding Hornby producing an undecorated version, I know Simon Kohl of Hornby, takes a lot of notice of the British outline feedback, & business requirements permitting tries to produce what is requested. He replies to many queries on Model Rail Express Emag
www.mremag.demon.co.uk/hpsite/index.htm
I don't know if Simon is in charge of Rivarossi as well, but might be a place to start.

Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Virginian

I hate to tell you Sheldon, but Lima built the Allegheny, not Alco.  The Big Boy was Alco's heavyweight contender.  And as Lima's biggest, sadly it was a bit of an embarrassment after they got sued by the C&O over the weight, and it cost them something over $3 million to settle it.
I have always thought the VGN sort of messed up buying their 900s, much as C&O did with the originals.  Misapplication.  The only time they ever fell in that trap, but with ex-C&O management then on board why it happened is a no brainer.  That, and the smokebox air pumps, is another reason why I really welcome an excuse to live without one for another few years.  VGN should have bought N&W Class As.
"What could have happened... did."

Atlantic Central

Virginian,

You are so right, I was deeply into some research on Mikados while I was posting that response and got my builders mixed up. But the fact remains, we sure could use some undecorated ones.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I'll agree with Sheldon.  It really goes against everything for me to destroy or paint over "Chesapeake & Ohio." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

bcochran

I bought one of the Hornby/Rivarossi Allegheny locomotives.  I also had one of the original Rivarossi Alleghenies.  The original had two cabs. The long roof prototypical cab and a short roof cab for 18 inch radius.  The Hornby version had two short roof cabs with the same number.

My Hornby version had no paper work or warrantee information.  I contacted Hornby USA and I got a pledge form them to send me a long roof cab when they arrive from China in 4 to 6 weeks.  Their plan is to send the long roof cabs to the original distributors but I bought mine on EBay and the distributor would not reply to my emails.

There is a PDF file for the instruction sheet at the Hornby USA web sight to replace the missing paperwork.