News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wiring a wye turnaround

Started by glsummers, February 28, 2007, 07:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

Is there a simple way to wire a wye turnaround in HO for DCC?

Jim Banner

Two ways -
(1) use an auto reverser for the tail track.
(2) Depending on the type of turnouts you use, you can use either auxilliary contacts on the switch machine or and Atlas Snap Relay connected in parallel with the switch machine of the tail track turnout.  These contacts need to be DPDT (the Snap Relay is DPDT) with the center two connected to the tail track and the end contacts connected to the tracks approaching the tail track turnout.  Then the polarity of one track or the other with be automatically selected depending on which way the turnout is set.

Note that in both cases that both rails of both approach tracks need to be gapped at or near the tail track turnout.

This is very similar to the reverse loop shown at the link below, with the track to the left of the turnout being the tail track.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop/loop.html

Note - if your wye is not a simple one, i.e. the tail track is not dead ended but connects back into the railroad somewhere else, then only the auto reverser will work.  And it will require another set of gaps at the next turnout.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hunt

Jim’s info is to the point.

The following link may help out should you have more questions. BUT it has details and information beyond the scope of your question and the content possibly information overkill.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm
Scroll down to REVERSING.
It is about half way down the web page.

glsummers

Thanks for your help. Let me explain a little more of what I am dealing with. I built a small layout for my grandson a couple years ago for Christmas. It just was a simple round up and over with two spurs. I have received a big room to put a much larger layout in and want to incorporate his small layout into the larger one ( this is what he wanted). In order to come in and out of the smaller layout I made a wye. I think I know what you all are saying. I love making the scenery and wiring is not my best ability. I thank you both for helping. If you have any other suggestions it would be appreciated. Larry

Jim Banner

A sketch of the track plan would really help.  Do I see it right that the original smaller railroad is connected to the larger railroad by the tail track of a wye, so that you approach the smaller railroad along a single track, then have the option of running around the smaller railroad in either direction?  Sort of like this:

I am sure your layouts are not egg shaped as shown and I realize that the smaller one has an up and over along with a couple of sputs.  But is the wye arrangement basically the way you have it?

glsummers

Jim thanks for your help. How did you draw the diagram? I will try to draw my situation with a wye, if I know how and maybe that will help. Thanks again.

Jim Banner

I used CorelDRAW for that one.  If you use Widows Paint, you can do something similar, but a scan of a pencil sketch works too.

glsummers

Maybe this will get you to the picture I drew. Maybe???

Shortcut to: C:\Documents and Settings\G. Larry Summers\My Documents\My Pictures\Wye picture