Tsunami sound in Bachmann outside frame Baldwin with QSI High Bass speaker

Started by Ozzie21, May 25, 2008, 10:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzie21

I have fitted a 1.55" QSI Solutions high bass speaker to an outside frame Baldwin using a Tsunami sound decoder. The recipeint of this loco was quite impressed with clarity of the sound over the old speaker.
This link should take you to the pictures i took while fitting the speaker and the decoder.
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/Ozzie21trains/
I have also fitted a Micro Tsunami to a new 4-4-0 with a 1.22" QSI high bass speaker. Unfortuneatly I got carried away during the install and for got to take the pictures. Maybe I'll remember next time.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

C.S.R.R. Manager

Great info, Charles.  Is that the HB157S speaker?  I've got a Tsunami in my On30 Connie, but I think it would benefit from a better speaker.

Gary

Steve Magee

As the recipient of the 2-8-0 and 4-4-0 referred to by Charles, allow me to comment. Firstly, a big thank you to Charles for the work that he did. The Connie is, at this very moment, sitting on the program track waiting for me to fire up Decoder Pro, hissing and sizzling. I just Decoder Pro'd the 4-4-0 and sent it back to the virtual sawmill with its work train. :)

The HB speaker is definitely worth the upgrade. Sound before was good, I considered, but now it has an extra dimension of richness and clarity. I added a little reverb to the chuff and it sounds very steam-train-workmanlike indeed. Decoder is the Tsunami Light Steam. I now have an additional 3 of these speakers and will see what else they can be fitted to. A BLI C-16 looks interesting ... however, the QSI board positioning in that would make it challenging.

Thanks again Charles.

Ozzie21

Gary, yes it is the 1.57. it was a challenging install due to Bachmann's lack of adhering to the NMRA standards for DCC wiring, the same applied to the 4-4-0. This means you have to trace the wiring back to the loco and hope that the marks on the Bachmann PC board actually line up with the wiring.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: C.S.R.R. Manager on May 25, 2008, 01:40:02 PM
Great info, Charles.  Is that the HB157S speaker?  I've got a Tsunami in my On30 Connie, but I think it would benefit from a better speaker.

Gary

C.S.R.R. Manager

Thanks Charles, I do appreciate the info.  It sounds as if this might be a way to improve the effectiveness of sound, at least in locos where there is room for the speaker. 

My Connie came with the sound pre-installed by Soundtraxx, so I'm hoping that the speaker update would be a matter of soldering a couple of wires.  And making room in the tender base, of course.  Now I'm looking for a dealer in the US that has these in stock.

Gary

Ozzie21

Gary, I got mine Tony's Train Exchange. Good prices too if you buy in bulk. My next order will be for twenty speakers. Lots of locos to do.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: C.S.R.R. Manager on May 26, 2008, 10:03:28 AM
Thanks Charles, I do appreciate the info.  It sounds as if this might be a way to improve the effectiveness of sound, at least in locos where there is room for the speaker. 

My Connie came with the sound pre-installed by Soundtraxx, so I'm hoping that the speaker update would be a matter of soldering a couple of wires.  And making room in the tender base, of course.  Now I'm looking for a dealer in the US that has these in stock.

Gary

C.S.R.R. Manager

Thanks much, I should have thought to try Tony's.  The speakers aren't that expensive either.  Great suggestions.

peterherron

I recently did the same install.  Instead of putting that cover with the holes in it back on, I glued a piece of nylon window screen across the opening on the inside (to keep stuff from getting stuck on the speaker) and then mounted the speaker to the tender using that glue/putty stuff for an airtight and flexible seal.  I moved the circuit board, plugged the Tsunami in and everything worked fine.  Sounds wonderful to me although I have nothing to compare it to as it's my first one.

Peter