Started by hminky, May 30, 2008, 04:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

I have a web article on HO track for On30 at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/ho_track/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Woody Elmore

Why is it, when I see Harold's work, I want to take my stuff and smash it to smithereens.

Nice work Harold.

hminky

Thanks Woody,

I always like this as an example of narrow gauge track:

http://www.urbaneagle.com/orin-sp/orin-index.html

Harold

eric

Woody,

I don't think you should feel so bad. At least you have something to smash. Every time I see Harold's work, it sends me back to the drawing board wondering why I ever thought I possibly could construct anything that would resemble a railroad. I'm always amazed at what he comes up with. He's like any electronic product. Just about the time you think you've got everything straight and you're going to buy the newest, latest, greatest tomorrow, he releases a new model.

Eric

Yes/ no? I agee with Harolds statement that no manufactured On30 track is quite write. But I don't care to hand lay track.  Using HO track does not work for me either. I have HO and On30 products so using the same track for both does not visually work for me. I bought into On30 for something different so I want to see something different. I have Micro Engineering track which is not perfect but is different. I would agree with Harold 100% if I did not also model in HO.

hminky

Quote from: #94 on May 31, 2008, 08:51:51 AM
Yes/ no? I agee with Harolds statement that no manufactured On30 track is quite write. But I don't care to hand lay track.  Using HO track does not work for me either. I have HO and On30 products so using the same track for both does not visually work for me. I bought into On30 for something different so I want to see something different. I have Micro Engineering track which is not perfect but is different. I would agree with Harold 100% if I did not also model in HO.

I also run both. If you run the On30 on HO track for a period of time and don't run the HO, even Atlas HO code 83 track will really look coarse for HO. The Atlas code 100 and MP "code 83" really look bad with HO equipment riding their rails.

Harold

C.S.R.R. Manager

Personally, I like the ME track and switches.  The width of the ties emphasizes the narrowness of the track gauge, and makes it look distinctly not HO.  But it is expensive, and I like having the option of using cheaper HO flextrack in hidden areas.

Really, from most of the narrow gauge photos I've seen, the ties [sleepers] are usually buried in ballast, or dirt, or sand, to the point where it's not really obvious what size they are.  And there was so much variation between railroads in the US, that one can use whatever they like and still be in the ballpark.

Woody Elmore

Harold - I like the photo. Is that a gallows turntable in the rear of the picture? I have a Russian River gallows turntable kit sitting, waiting to be assembled.

By the way, I like stub switches - the SPNG used them up until the last days of the line.

hminky

Yes that is a gallows turntable, click on the link below the picture.

Harold

Woody Elmore

I thought that looked familiar! It's on the SPNG!

hminky

The oversized "HO track" visually works with the smaller Bachmann On30 equipment as 3 foot narrow gauge because of the proportions. The ratio of 30" to 36" is .833. The Model Power HO track is almost to that ratio as  O scale narrow gauge track. If you take a the Bachmann On30 cars you have the same ratio with a later larger 3 foot car. Visually the On30 cars appear as three foot  equipment. That is my story and I am sticking with it. Art versus Science.

Harold

Woody Elmore

I see the ad for the Peco On30 turntable in the latest issue of MR. I wonder how long it will take somebody to come up with a gallows structure for this much needed addition to On30.  A kit from one of the kit makers would sure be helpful.

Steve Magee

Although I use Peco On30 track, I'm with Harold - I prefer what looks right. Here is an example of Peco track I have ballasted

On this one, the track ties are visible but nobody has yet said "Gee, your ties are too skinny" :)

PS - no, the tunnel portal is not at an angle - the camera was though :)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Steve Magee

and here, you can't see the ties at all - though it is backwood yard trackage ... and don't cameras show up the errors - I had to hastily add colouring to the top of the retaining wall exposed by the camera as "unpainted" :)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

tac

Quote from: C.S.R.R. Manager on May 31, 2008, 11:37:40 AMReally, from most of the narrow gauge photos I've seen, the ties [sleepers] are usually buried in ballast, or dirt, or sand, to the point where it's not really obvious what size they are.  And there was so much variation between railroads in the US, that one can use whatever they like and still be in the ballpark.

Very good points and well-stated.  I have only a small 0n30 layout on the window ledge opposite my work-desk, with a Shay and a Porter shuffling back and forth on a shuttle link..really just to see some movement that is train-related.

My track is all H0, but, like you noted, buried in the ballast so far you'd never know...only a couple of switches show the 'correctly-spaced' On30-style PECO track ties.

Best graders

tac