News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

athearn challenger

Started by Daylight4449, May 30, 2008, 05:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

okay, can anyone tell me if it is any good and if it runs on dc?

Hunt

It is OK if you don't get one from the first production run. Suggest you test run before you buy.

It does run on DC and a small handheld wireless controller is included for use with DC power. The handheld controller controls speed and direction but only six of the sound functions. 

It is better to run the locomotive on DCC.

Many of the model's roadnames are now discontinued. Check the Athearn website.

grumpy

I happen to have a recent  Athern Challenger with DCC and Sound .I purchased it from Trainland and is one of my favourite loco's. It ran well right out of the box with no adjustments . All the turns on my layout are 18"  and it looks good going around the turns. The whistle is good but the steam chuff  leaves something to be desired. The parked sounds are good and the slow speed chuff is excellent but as you increase speed the chuff becomes less and less distinctive. I am sure this can be adjusted but I am using EZCommand and can't do it - wouldn't know how if I could.
Don :)

Daylight4449

can you run it on dc with a bachmann spectrum magnum power pack

Hunt

Quote from: grumpy on May 30, 2008, 06:51:01 PM
... and the slow speed chuff is excellent but as you increase speed the chuff becomes less and less distinctive. ...

It is by design it works that way.

Mark Damien

Quote from: grumpy on May 30, 2008, 06:51:01 PM
The whistle is good but the steam chuff  leaves something to be desired.

Don,
You can change the CHUFF SOUND TYPE - there are five or six to choose from. They range from tinny to terrifying.
Have a look in your instruction manual. I am away from home at the moment, so can't look it up for you.

I have four Athearn Challengers, & am very happy with their performance.
They run particularly well on an MRC BLACK BOX , as do Tsunami fitted locos. NOTE : You cannot run NON-DCC locos on an MRC BlackBox It gives you access to all the sounds but pumps out the same power as a DCC controller, so is unsuitable for DC-only locos.

I have noticed Athearn Challengers & Big Boys occasionally get confused & must be reset.
This is a rare occurrence & symptoms include remaining stationary & chuffing. A reset is quick & easy, so your should not feel too alarmed about this rare trait.

The NON TRACTION TYRED driver set is available from Athearn for around $10, plus postage. This will reduce the Braking effect on tight curves  caused by the traction tyre.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Daylight4449

i have heard it will run on 18 inch radius, cool!

SteamGene

It wiil, looking like a hippo on a balance beam.  (This is not just the Challenger, but the C&O H-8, the N&W A and Y classes and the USRA light Mallet.  Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it should be done.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

so untrue, I've seen videos of it and it is beautiful. can't wait for one in January, i need it seeing as my inner mainline rises 3 eights of an inch for every 9 inches of track and my prairie pulls maybe 3 passenger cars up the hill.

SteamGene

And the radii of the track in the videos?  I have 30" curves and I could make a Challenger look at least okay on them.  But 18" - lots of overhang.  Now, if you want to locate a video which shows an Athearn Challenger looking good on 18" radius, send it on. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on May 31, 2008, 02:11:39 PM
i have heard it will run on 18 inch radius, cool!

If your layout has 18" curves and you really want on of the Athearn Challengers go for it. It is your layout and no one elses. Sure a wider radius would be nice but some of us have to make do with smaller layouts.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on May 31, 2008, 07:57:41 PM
And the radii of the track in the videos?  I have 30" curves and I could make a Challenger look at least okay on them.  But 18" - lots of overhang.  Now, if you want to locate a video which shows an Athearn Challenger looking good on 18" radius, send it on. 
Gene

Gene.

Keep in mind there are "model railways/roads" and then there are "toy trains". 

Snobbish?  Maybe.

Nuff said.

Daylight4449

Just hope they still make it in january.

Pacific Northern

[[/quote]

Gene.

Keep in mind there are "model railways/roads" and then there are "toy trains". 

Snobbish?  Maybe.

Nuff said.

[/quote]

Are you implying that those forum members who have smaller layouts  requiring the use of  18" radius curves are of the toy train class and only those who are fortunate enough to have the space to use large radius curves are the model railroaders?.

Snobbish? If that is what you are implying, then most certainly

Perhaps Model Railroader needs another level added to the forum for us Toy train enthusiasts?.
Pacific Northern

Daylight4449

okay, please don't fight as i don't want this forum going down the same road the Thomas and friends one did. i can't fit much on my table but i don't consider myself a toy trainer i think of myself as a limited modeler. i wan't this for pulling the heavy freights up devils loop which has a huge grade. I will also get a spectrum consolidation or decapod for the express.