News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

athearn challenger

Started by Daylight4449, May 30, 2008, 05:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

daylight4449, I don't know anything about your layout, but you said it has a huge grade. The spectrum consolidation Is a good locomotive.  The spectrum decapod is a small locomotive that will not pull much.  So if you have a huge grade I would not get the decapod.

Daylight4449

good advice, i have 2 mainlines and only one has the grade but nice to know.

r.cprmier

As I remember, John Allen had some fairly tight curves on the G&D.  John also had some pretty hefty steam power operating. 

I remember a line from Glenn Bier's narration of the G&D:  "His heart was his own".  The day any of you can compare your stuff to Allen's, then you can talk about "toy trains".  As was said above, it is their money;  It is not causing pain to either you or your trains, so stop the immature garbage, and lets keep this forum decent.

The Old Reprobate 
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Daylight4449

My grade rises 3/8 of an inch for every peice of track and is all on curves. 18 inch radius of course.

Daylight4449

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS5y9o36r3M#94LYQbPs3TE
This video has one on what looks like sharp radius. i have seen others and i asked this guy and he said it was 3 radius, whatever that means.

Guilford Guy

He mentioned its 505mm radii.
25.4mm=1"
505÷25.4= aproxx 19.8. So between 18" radii+20" radii.
Alex

Daylight4449

This isn't a belt drive and it is capable of slow speeds right? I would hate to buy and find out it was a wild thing like my rdc.

SteamGene

Have you gone to the Athearn webpage and read the specs on it?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

Daylight4449

Conrail Quality

Try clicking on "Tech & Spec" right under the picture. It's all right there.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Daylight4449

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on May 30, 2008, 05:06:17 PM
okay, can anyone tell me if it is any good and if it runs on dc?

The Model Railroader web site has a review of this engine.
Pacific Northern

Conrail Quality

The N-scale version is gear-driven and has good slow-speed performance, so chances are good the HO version is pretty much the same.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Daylight4449

great, the model railroader site has it but it's only available to members and subscribers.