News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's new HO 2-8-4 quick review

Started by modlerbob, May 30, 2008, 07:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modlerbob

Congratulations Bachmann!  I just finally got this locomotive. I also have the P2K and Rivarossi versions. You could have put this beauty in your Spectrum line and I am not sure why you didn't. I decided to get the Pere Marquette Berk as I already have the P2K Nickel Plate and C&O models. The Bachmann model is DCC equipped and programmed for channel 3. It started right out of the box very smoothly with no initial jump. I only have a relatively small linear switching layout here at home so I can't tell what it's top speed is but I would guess its geared for low speed and pulling power. The only negative here is that the motor has a noticeable hum.

Looks wise I have to say it is very close to the P2K locos in detail and paint although to me the Pere Marquette on the sides of the tender look a little over sized as Bachmsnn has done on other locos. A lot of the details on the loco are separately applied and according to the exploded drawing are railroad specific. The tender has a working backup light and numeous other details. No chains though on the trucks to the body as the P2K model comes with. Also missing is the platform connecting the tender to the cab.

In conclusion since this model is almost $200 cheaper than the P2K with DCC I believe it is a real bargain and will satisfy most steam enthusiasts.

Also I realize that there are probably other posts concerning this model but I didn't feel like taking the time to find one.
Bob DeWoody