News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Atlas turnouts

Started by SteamGene, March 01, 2007, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Is there a way to move the throwbar of an Atlas #6?  I need to make two yard ladders and they seem to interfere with a turnout to turnout ladder.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Gene,

I'm not sure this will be helpful for your layout, but I use Atlas code 100 NS #6 turnouts and always 'snip' off the outside edge of the throw bar, as well as any other outside material that gets in the way of track layout.

The turnout is then connected to a 'Caboose Hobbies' manual, spring throw with 'piano wire' which is very, very hard wire (don't cut it with your 'rail' cutter ... it will ruin the cutter blade, and wear glasses when cutting the wire). It is perfect for creating very reliable connectors to the manual throw. (in fact, on my former 'S' scale layout, I used the same technique but ran the wire through very small diameter, long styrene tubing painted black. This allowed me to have all my throws at the edge of the layout, and after ballasting and scenery was added, the hollow tubes were invisible.   

I also have trimed some of the ties off of  the Atlas turnouts in order to get a 'ladder' effect.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Are you using Atlas code 83? If so, the throw bar can be released from the points and reinstalled from the other direction. There are small round taps inside the visable flat plates where the points are connected. Just gently pry them up and the points will slide out. They just snap back in.

Are you planning to use ground throws? If so let be know and I will send you info on my homemade ground thows with electrical contacts that are small enough to fit between 2" track centers.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I'm using code 100 for mainline and yards and code 83 for all customer sidings except for coal tipples, which will still be 100. 
Yes, most of my switches will be manual, and I have thought seriously of using piano wire to the edge of the layout.  We use that method at the club and it works great.  So yes, Sheldon, send me the ground throw information. 
Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Craig

Sheldon,

I'd like to see your ground throw info as well, please.

By the way, I sent you an e-mail about a week ago.

Craig

SteamGene

I e-mailed Atlas this morning and got an answer this afternoon.  They reverse and easily, essentially the way Sheldon describes.  Use a small flat bladed screwdriver and release the rail that goes to the frog first. 
The VT&P Track Superintendant is very happy.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat