News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dismal Swamp ventelated box car

Started by br549, June 01, 2008, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br549

That's pretty much how I shop as well.  My LHS does the mail order thing some times that may be all that  keeps the doors open during the slow season. Loco's purchased on line is always the luck of their draw. You might get a diamond or on the other hand a lemon. "Good deals" may not be the best  in the end.  Chances I dont risk very often when it comes to purchasing Loco's. But I have reluctantly

0n30nutz

Bob,

I agree wholeheartedly, and do everything I can to keep my money locally for just about everything I do, even above and beyond hobbies. ;D However, economics prohibits many brick and mortar stores from stocking everything for everybody. My first Mogul was purchased at a LHS (actually a Local Train Shop, from Z to G), and the owner was more than happy to offer me a deal on any other On30 stock as he was having a hard time selling the product.  ??? The On30 customer base is just too specialized, therefore small. His biggest seller, Trolley sets at Christmans time.
The shop closest to me is strictly HO, and is reluctant to order me much. (But they do get some of my dollars.)
Yeah, and as I've mentioned, BMann's main office is across the river from me!
So, I've had to go the mail order or internet route, but I do business with brick and mortar, established shops and stores. WholeSale Trains, Trainworld to name two are family owned stores , and authorized BMann dealers, as is The Favorite Spot. There are many, many guys out there specializing in On30 product....try a Google search, you will be pleasantly suprised.
  There are even a few On30 modelers who have taken it upon themselves to open CyberShops so we can get our stuff, so to speak ;D. My hats off to them all.

Well I've vented enough, but want to reiterate, we are modelers in a very specialized niche, and sometimes have to search to fill our needs.

Regards,

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

br549

How true it is. It must be interesting being across from the Bmann shop. I'd thought they would have a option to by from them locally? Even a tour with free samples would be an idea  watcha think?! ;D
Just a thought...  :D
Any way we are on the same wave length on the subject of purchasing. ;)

OldStone

I just left Star Hobby in Annapolis, MD.  They have two "Dismal Swamps" on display for $20.00 each and claim to have more in the "backroom".  This is a family owned LHS that normally has a hugh array of On30 equipment IN STOCK for very good prices.  A good place to look for scarce items.
Cheers, OldStone

0n30nutz

Old Stone,

Nice... ;D

You the man. I will file this info for future reference! ::)

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

br549

I recieved the Dismal Swamp box car This Friday, It was ordered on Tuesday the same week. Talk about prompt service! it was well packed as well.
Roy's Train World gets a ;D thumbs up!
I will keep the other suggestions in mind for sure! ;)
I know where to find good help and thats here!

randerson

to all you folks supporting your LHS, I would love to support my LHS if I only had one!  The nearest town to where I live is Sierra Vista, AZ & they don't have a single hobby shop!   The nearest hobby shops are in Tucson 85 miles away, they are universally in HO, almost no on30.
The nearest narrow gauge shop is Coronado in Phoenix, almost 200 miles away!

Almost everything I buy, RR wise, I have to order on line.  Oh lord do I get tired of paying for shipping!

Cheers,

Rich

br549

Rich I hear ya loud and clear! Even with a LHS I still order on line to get what I need . Caboose hobbies is one source I use .  My LHS doesnt carry a whole lot of 0n30 either but they will order .