News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Freight Cars, circa 1950s

Started by Dave_W6DPS, June 02, 2008, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_W6DPS

Is there a convenient data source online for what kinds of cars were used in a particular era?

I am interested in modeling ATSF in the 1950s, and would like to find a reference for what kinds of cars would be appropriate. I am mostly interested in freight, but may want some passenger cars also.

I don't think the covered hopper in the "Iron Duke" set, with the "Propylene Co-Polymer" markings, really matches up well with the 0-6-0 switcher, for example.  Oh, yes--I prefer N guage, but my question is really about the prototype cars.

Thanks,

Dave

jayl1

You might locate an "Official Railway Equipment Register" for your time period.  They are available at some swap meets.  The book lists the railroad, car type, road numbers, dimensions, capacity, & door size (when applicable).

pdlethbridge

The denver public library has many railroad pictures taken by otto perry. There are pictures that not only show the engines, his point of interest, but the cars they pulled. Freight would have been mostly 40 footers, passenger could be heavies, shorties, streamlined, wooden, whatever

Paul M.

Boxcars would have running boards, and there would also be a fair amount of 50-footers.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Dr EMD

I joined the Santa Fe Modeler and Technical Society for that reason.

They have a good bunch of ATSF freight car reference books for sale.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

SteamGene

40' box cars, AAR & PS-1, some USRA or other wood sheafed still runing  some 50", single and double door.
2 & 3 bay, 50-70 ton hoppers
40/50' flat cars, same for gons
stock cars - lots on the Santa Fe
6-10,000 gallon tankers, one, two, and three domes
50 ton covered hoppers.
roof walks, full ladders, no lube stencils

Road names would be primarily western, but PRR, NYC, Southern, sure to make an appearance, a few granger cars, and the odd eastern railroad orphan. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

How about reefers? I think ATSF had some with the system map on the side. You could always use a few PFE reefers.

SteamGene

Now why did I forget reefers?  Of course.  Mostly 40' - I believe still mostly ice bunker. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dave_W6DPS

Thanks for the information!  I'm sure I'll be back, but this is a good starting place.

I spent some of my "wonder years" in Kingman Arizona, playing on #3759 (4-8-4 Northern).  I'm sketching out the changes to make my Bachmann 3780 look more like 3759.

Quote from: Dr EMD on June 02, 2008, 09:09:26 PMI joined the Santa Fe Modeler and Technical Society for that reason...

I googled them, but didn't get anything useful.  Do you have contact information?

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave_W6DPS

Quote from: pdlethbridge on June 02, 2008, 07:27:38 PM
The denver public library has many railroad pictures taken by otto perry....

This is truely a great resource!  I did a search just using the keyword "train" fom 1949 to 1960 and it came up with 247 pages of photos!

Thanks!

Dave

Paul M.

They've got many, many T&P images!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Daylight4449

Quote from: Woody Elmore on June 03, 2008, 09:09:19 AM
How about reefers? I think ATSF had some with the system map on the side. You could always use a few PFE reefers.

got one, it says " Ship santa fe all the way" kinda catchy. I use it to join kadee couplers to xf2 ones.

rogertra

Gene.

Not only 40ft cars but 36footers as well.

Remember, a freight car's life is around 25 years before it needs to be rebuilt.  So, in 1955 you have a few cars from the early 1930s to mid 1930s still running around.

Then, in the 1950s, cars came in many more heights.  They weren't all the Athearn, single sheath, 40ft boxcar type.  There were many cars that had lower roofs.  Big Mistake II also slowed down the introduction of new cars so many older cars, those from the 1930s, were still running around in a greater proportion that would otherwise have been expected.

As I didn't arrive in Canada until 1966, I refer to photos to get the "feel" for my 1958 Great Eastern.

BTW, keep in mind that even in the mid 1960s, when I arrived in Canada, there were still many, many ice reefers in service.  I recall seeing lines of them in Turcott Yard in Montreal, mainly western road reefers to boot.

Dr EMD

http://www.atsfrr.com/

Quote from: Dave_W6DPS on June 03, 2008, 12:11:53 PM
Thanks for the information!  I'm sure I'll be back, but this is a good starting place.

I spent some of my "wonder years" in Kingman Arizona, playing on #3759 (4-8-4 Northern).  I'm sketching out the changes to make my Bachmann 3780 look more like 3759.

Quote from: Dr EMD on June 02, 2008, 09:09:26 PMI joined the Santa Fe Modeler and Technical Society for that reason...

I googled them, but didn't get anything useful.  Do you have contact information?

Thanks again,

Dave
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Yampa Bob

There was another member inquiring about the Kingman depot, haven't seem him on here for a long time.

I found the Denver Public Library a great resource when researching western railroads. PD Lethbridge's wife may keep him locked in the basement, but he sure gets around the net, and clued me in on the Otto Perry collection.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.