News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Balanced Thinking

Started by Yampa Bob, June 03, 2008, 09:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

The way you operate your model railroad might be related to whether your brain is left dominant or right dominant.  After several tests, I am about 66% left dominant, slightly more analytical than artistic. 

This means I enjoy building and bashing, but have a slight problem with the fine details and painting.  I also prefer to run my trains counter-clockwise, with a slight leaning to realistic operations. This presents a slight conflict, as my space constraints require significant selective compression and certain compromises. I am more concerned with such aspects as logistics, practicality, durability and efficiency than I am with appearances.  I would probably have been successful operating a real railroad.  :D

First, spend about 10 minutes on this visual test.  Most people will see the dancer rotating counter-clockwise.  My first perception was clock-wise but I was able to immediately change the direction due to the dominant influence. 

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html

Next, take the Hemispheric Dominance test.  Don't cheat on this, answer on your first impulse or impression. After you get your score, click the link at the bottom for an explanation of the influences. Some minor adjustments might help you to have more enjoyable railroad experiences.

http://www.web-us.com/brain/braindominance.htm

Have fun, but don't take it too seriously. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

prebres

counter clockwise first but changed.

12 right, 6 left

kevin2083

counter-clockwise

13 right 5 left        

= CONFUSING
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Daylight4449

for me and my brother it kept changing

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: prebres on June 03, 2008, 10:00:22 PM
counter clockwise first but changed.

12 right, 6 left

10 right 8 left, I almost have equal, and it desribed me perfectly, but missed a few!
Type of Cognitive Processing
Brief Description

Holisitc Processing information from whole to part; sees the big picture first, not the details.
Random  Processing information with out priority, jumps form one task to another.
Concrete Processes things that can be seen , or touched - real objects.
Intuitive Processes information based on whether or not it feels right know answer but not sure how it was derived.
Nonverbal Processes thought as illustrations.
Fantasy-Oriented Processes information with creativity; less focus on rules and regulations

I also do do the task! It's just what I would do regularly, I said that, it just infers things wrong!!
On the first one, I guessed, I ussaly sit anywhere.
- Joshua Bauer

r.cprmier

Shoot, Bob;  I couldn't concentrate on anything but the body.  Now, if there are any 55+ year old women out there that look anything like that...

Seriously, started out clockwise, switched to counter, then back.  I assume that if I stayed on long enough, [she] would have alternated back, but I have decided to go to work...

The Old Reprobate
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Look up Myers-Briggs.  Mostly clock-wise, right brain. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

First counter clockwise. Then I could close my eyes for a couple of seconds and I could reverse it when I opened them. And again and again. I can pretty much reverse it at will by blinking my eyes. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 blinks.
On the other, I got 10 right and 8 left.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jhanecker2

Tried both tests .   Clockwise ,  Totally left brained dominant.   Suprises me since I'm such a fan of science-fiction and fantasy literature.

pdlethbridge

Yampa Bob

Uh, Paul....there are 18 questions. No recess for you, now go stand in the corner. :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

oops, 9 +9 Left brain forgot something. I go to recess now

Woody Elmore

The Myers-Briggs assessment is an offshot of the Carl Jung school of psychology. If you buy into his theories, the test is valid.

This makes my head hurt - let's stick to trains.