News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

model power 0-4-0

Started by Daylight4449, June 09, 2008, 05:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I got a model power 0-4-0 switcher for yard service. I have tried lubing, tightning the screws and all with no prevail to stop this infernal noise it makes. By the way it is a steam. can any one tell me how to fix it?

Jim Banner

I have an old Model Power 0-4-0T that I bought new in the early 1980s.  It is a "sidewinder" with a short, fat "pancake" motor mounted crosswise and connected to the axles by flat gears (no worm involved.)  On the bottom, it is marked "Lima Italy."  A quarter century later, the gears still howl.  In no way is it comparable to the Bachmann 0-6-0T which is a real jewel of a yard goat.

If your 0-4-0 is an old sidewinder, I doubt if you will ever get it to start smoothly and run quietly.  You can, however, improve its pickup by adding track pickups between the drivers.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Daylight4449

no, its not. I got it new and yes, i wish i could get my hands on a spectrum 0-6-0t

Yampa Bob

I saw a listing for a Mantua 0-6-0 tank, very inexpensive considering it is DCC ready. What the heck, I may get one and just let it howl.  If it is a worm gear drive, I can probably quiet it down. If not it would look great in the yard.

Specifically, what kind of "infernal noise" does it make?  Is it gear mesh whine, like an old Ford in granny low, or screeching like a bearing or something?

If it was mine, I would be tempted to dismantle and do some fine tuning on it. Let me know as I am still considering one.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jayl1

Yampa, I have a new Mantua CLASSIC ( not the old original 0-6-0).  It is a good running engine.

Yampa Bob

Jay
Is it DCC ready?  One source said it is, another said not.  I saw one price of $47 and listed as DCC ready.  It's a cute little loco, sorta looks like Thomas.

jayl1

Bob,
The new Mantua Classics 0-6-0s (red box) are DCC ready - 9 pin plugs I believe.  $47 isn't a real good deal though.  I'd have to check my dealer sheets but I think retail is only $55.
Jay

Daylight4449

Mine is not the mantua 0-6-0, it is the model power 0-4-0 and I am terable at describing. can't describe the noise as more than a whining and it seems to change as the drivers go around. like it's higher at one position than another.

Yampa Bob

Model Power owns Mantua, might be using their own packaging. Anyway I found the 0-6-0T for $34, DCC ready.

Daylight4449

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 11, 2008, 03:36:36 PM
Mine is not the mantua 0-6-0, it is the model power 0-4-0 and I am terable at describing. can't describe the noise as more than a whining and it seems to change as the drivers go around. like it's higher at one position than another.
The noise that is

r.cprmier

Bob and others;
I had long been enamoured by the little 0-4-0 kettles that pulled the trainloads of rock, concrrete, etc at the Panama Canal construction, and had wanted so to get one.  I saw one on "Trainworld" page in MR, for 12.00 several years ago.  I bought two.  They run like crap!  I have toyed with the idea of getting the Bowser 0-4-0 mechanism and doing one, just to see.  They [Bowser} are not exactly cheap!
For a few dollars more, I can get a whole 0-4-0 with Bowser's blessings.  I will cogitate some more...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

kevin2083

I have also noticed that there isn't a spectrum quality 0-4-0 out there COUGH!!! COUGH!!!!
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Daylight4449

Okay so is it a lost cause?

SteamGene

Probably.  In addition, the 0-4-0 began to become obsolete about 1900.  This is not to say some didn't linger, but by the time of the USRA, the 0-4-0 was essentially history and the 0-6-0 was in decline.  The 20th Century steam switcher was the 0-8-0.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

yes but my layout has no era, no specific roadname in locos, and limited space. 4x8 People! Don't anyone dare call me a toy trainer. 0-4-0s are cheap and will do the job. 0-6-0s are pricier and require more space and 0-8-0s won't even run on my 18 inch radius curves. my 0-4-0 is noisy but it runs and will work. I hate one thing about this forum. Everyone is telling me to go and "buy a new one" I work on a railroad income of less than $1,000 a year. Don't forget, i have other things to spend on to