News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

model power 0-4-0

Started by Daylight4449, June 09, 2008, 05:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 13, 2008, 06:41:16 PM
0-4-0s are cheap ...  0-6-0s are pricier and require more space and 0-8-0s won't even run on my 18 inch radius curves.

There are many places you can cut corners and save money when model railroading.  Locomotives should not be one of them.  Better to have one locomotive that is a joy to run than half a dozen that are not.

If you want a good running steam switcher, then use one with as many pickup wheels as possible.  An 0-6-0T is only slightly longer than an 0-4-0T and is shorter than an 0-4-0 with tender by quite a bit.  An 0-8-0 is even longer but has twice as many pickup wheels and will still run happily on 18" radius curves.  By comparison a typical 0-6-0T will run on 15" and 0-4-0T on 12" radius.  Not surprising as 0-4-0 locomotives were often used on industrial and urban trackage with tight curves.

However, if you want to continue using your noisy 0-4-0, I have two suggestions.  One is to improve performance by adding extra pickups such as shoes or sliders that pick up directly from the rails.  The other is to play some good old fashioned railroad music and/or railroad sounds in the yard area to help cover up the locomotive noises.   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Daylight4449

well, my 0-4-0 has no tender and my 0-6-0 does. an 0-8-0 has no hope of fitting onto a turn table with car.

rogertra

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 14, 2008, 09:37:23 AM
well, my 0-4-0 has no tender and my 0-6-0 does. an 0-8-0 has no hope of fitting onto a turn table with car.

If your 0-4-0 has NO tender, then it's not an "0-4-0" it's an "0-4-0T".  Unless you've just lost the tender.  :)

The "T" indicates that the locomotive has a "Tank" and it's an important part of the loco's description, otherwise people will think you have an 0-4-0 tender locomotive.  It's all part of the railwoad lexicon and avoids any confusion.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 13, 2008, 06:41:16 PM
yes but my layout has no era, no specific roadname in locos, and limited space. 4x8 People! Don't anyone dare call me a toy trainer. 0-4-0s are cheap and will do the job. 0-6-0s are pricier and require more space and 0-8-0s won't even run on my 18 inch radius curves. my 0-4-0 is noisy but it runs and will work. I hate one thing about this forum. Everyone is telling me to go and "buy a new one" I work on a railroad income of less than $1,000 a year. Don't forget, i have other things to spend on to

Which 0-8-0 are you referring to?

Have not come across and 0-8-0 that would not run on 18" curves.

Pacific Northern

Daylight4449

don't know, which are you reffering to. as for the t, I am well aware it is an 0-4-0t but they are the same model just one has a tender hooked on.

SteamGene

Even a brass 0-8-0 should negotiate 18" curves.  Switchers were designed for tight curves. 
Agcain, terminology is important.  There is a world of difference in an 0-X-0T (note the capital) and an
0-X-0. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 14, 2008, 09:37:23 AM

Could you explain what you mean by a car in reference to the 0-8-0 on a turntable?
Pacific Northern

Daylight4449

my 0-4-0t can take a freight car onto a 90' turntable.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 15, 2008, 09:32:43 AM
my 0-4-0t can take a freight car onto a 90' turntable.

Why would you want to?
Pacific Northern

Daylight4449

so i can fit a yard, turn table, shed, servicing yard, and anything else on my table.

rogertra

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 15, 2008, 02:23:43 PM
so i can fit a yard, turn table, shed, servicing yard, and anything else on my table.

But you still haven't answered the question, "Why would you want to take a freight car onto a turntable?"  It wasn't done, unless the freight car had a "Unload From This Side Only" placard on one door. 

In that case, you

1)  Push the freight car onto the turntable using a locomotive.

2)  Uncouple the loco and back away from the 'table.

3)  Turn the freight car on the 'table.

4)  Bring the loco back onto the 'table and couple up to the freight car.

5)   Use the loco to then pull the freight from the 'table.

You could use a 4-8-8-4 to do that.  No need for the loco to ever go onto the turntable.  Simple, eh?

Yampa Bob

This thread started out with Daylight asking how to fix the noise in the loco.  Now he is being told how he should run his railroad and what locos he should buy.

Will he be struck by lightning for having a loco and car on the turntable at the same time?

Maybe the car can only be unloaded from one side, no runarounds available, and the switcher is on the lead.  Run onto the table, turn the whole thing around, pull past the siding, then back into the loading dock. Only one uncoupling operation. 

Show me the rule book that says "You can't do that".  Why can't we just help others to accomplish their intended goals and method of operation?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rogertra

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 15, 2008, 09:08:11 PM
This thread started out with Daylight asking how to fix the noise in the loco.  Now he is being told how he should run his railroad and what locos he should buy.

Nobody has told him how he should run his railroad.  All I see are helpful suggestions.

Will he be struck by lightning for having a loco and car on the turntable at the same time?

No, he won't be struck by lightening.  I and a couple of other were responding to his comment about not being able to get a loco and freight car onto the turntable.  We asked why he'd want to do that as it is unusual.  When he told us I offered advice on how to do that, without putting both loco and freight car on the table.  See below.

Maybe the car can only be unloaded from one side, no runarounds available, and the switcher is on the lead.  Run onto the table, turn the whole thing around, pull past the siding, then back into the loading dock. Only one uncoupling operation. 

We've already covered "Unload From This Side Only" placards.  Though I doubt he's that far an advanced modeller.  Though I'm open to correction.  I presented a step by step HELPFUL suggestion on how to turn a freight car if the freight car and loco can't fit on the 'table.

Show me the rule book that says "You can't do that".  Why can't we just help others to accomplish their intended goals and method of operation?

Nobody has mentioned "You can't do that!"  And we have offered help.  Help that you've taken to be critism.  Rather like you did on my post a few weeks ago regarding copying and pasting using the right mouse button?

Perhaps you need to read posts more carefully Bob.  You seem to grab the wrong end of the stick sometimes.

hgcHO

Agree with your reply, Roger.  All most all members here try and respond appropriately.

HGC

Yampa Bob

I assure you I read all posts very carefully.  But if someone says he wants to perform a certain operation, the "why would you want to do that?" is a mute point, so why ask it?  Who is to say it's unusual?  

By the way, I always know where the handle is before I grab anything.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.