News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Suggestions?

Started by Daylight4449, May 30, 2008, 03:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

can anyone suggest a layout on a table maybe 1 half an inch less on each side on a 4X8 table using nothing but 4 right hand, 3 left hand, 2 3inch, several 9 inch and lots of 18 inch radius curves with at least 2 mainlines (Don't have to be paralel) and all ez track. just thought i'd ask. this would be much easier if i had a planning book.

sparkyjay31

2 recommendations and you can pick one or the other.

1.  Subscribe to Model Railroader.  They have a website that offers free trackplans to all subscribers.  And the magazine is worth every penny.

2.  Hit your local hobby shop and buy a track planning book.  You'll save time and money in the long run...
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Daylight4449 on May 30, 2008, 03:29:20 PM
can anyone suggest a layout on a table maybe 1 half an inch less on each side on a 4X8 table using nothing but 4 right hand, 3 left hand, 2 3inch, several 9 inch and lots of 18 inch radius curves with at least 2 mainlines (Don't have to be paralel) and all ez track. just thought i'd ask. this would be much easier if i had a planning book.

You make it sound like your existing track is all that you will use in your layout.

I suggest that you layout two ovals (your mainlines) and then trial and error fitting the track pieces/swithches.

The suggestion of subscribing to Model Railroader is an excellent idea as it would allow you to access the data base of plans they keep on line. There are some 4 x 8 plans which would certainly be a starting point for you.

Another source of track plans is at the Atlas site.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/

Two mainlines on a 4 x 8 is really pushing it, not much space at all.

Pacific Northern

Paul M.

You can always buy more track....

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

It sounds like a 1950s spaghetti bowl to me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

A layout on 4 X 8 can be organized and efficient.  You just have to understand the aspect of "selective compression" as it applies to a small layout.  We have a double track layout with lots of storage, and can be easily expanded.

The turntable on the left extension is just an option, and can be replaced with another classification yard.  All curves are 18", with a short straight at each end to reduce the "loopiness" appearance.  Width required is 44", leaving 2" of clearance on each side.

For more information, refer to this thread.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4361.0.html
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SvFiat

Daylight4449

I jave put down my track and just need a little more to finish it, thanks for your help.