News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-6-6-2

Started by DrDialtone, March 02, 2007, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrDialtone

Just converted my 2-6-6-2 to DCC with a Digitrax DH163PS decoder. The engin runs smoothly as before but the initial start voltage seems rather high. Thought it might be the decoder so I tried it in a different loco as a test. First click and the loco begins to move. It almost seems that the 2-6-6-2 ran better on DC than DCC. Any thoughts? :-\

Nigel

It is the programming of the decoder.

Read Digitraxx's manual on setting the CV's
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

DrDialtone

Quote from: Nigel on March 02, 2007, 10:53:43 AM
It is the programming of the decoder.

Read Digitraxx's manual on setting the CV's

Thank you for your reply. I know that I can change this by changing the CV values. No problem. It just seems that the start voltage seems to be higher with DCC than DC.  This has not happened with any of the other conversions that I have done so far. Just thinking that maybe someone else ran into the same issue.

barrowsr

Nigel is correct.  I noticed that DCC conversions with sound take a lot more voltage to move the loco - because you're powering additional electronics.  The same may be true to a lesser extent for non-sound DCC since now the motor gets it voltage via the decoder.

Robin

jon grant 4472

I find, in general, that DCC-chipped locos run better in DCC if the decoder is NOT set to also run in DC. This option is usually found in the Configuration part of the DCC programming.

Here's a photo of my 2-6-6-2, with Soundtraxx LC decoder in the tender

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

chucknlead

Jon- looks like that steamer is ready for the scrapper's torch. LOL!  That looks SWEET!!!! I could almost smell the oily steam and burning coal.

Is that your layout in the background?

Also looks like a hand made track.
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

Trains Again

Quote from: DrDialtone on March 02, 2007, 10:42:47 AM
Just converted my 2-6-6-2 to DCC with a Digitrax DH163PS decoder. The engin runs smoothly as before but the initial start voltage seems rather high. Thought it might be the decoder so I tried it in a different loco as a test. First click and the loco begins to move. It almost seems that the 2-6-6-2 ran better on DC than DCC. Any thoughts? :-\

If your decoder does not have Back EMF, this could be the problem.

jon grant 4472

Quote from: chucknlead on March 02, 2007, 09:49:24 PM
Is that your layout in the background?

Also looks like a hand made track.

Yes, Sweethome Chicago. Lots more pics here.

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/2703

The trachwork is Peco code 75. Their code 83 track wasn't available over here in the UK when I started building.

Jon

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

brad

Jon,

I've admired your work for years on the Atlas board. It is a pleasant surprise to see you posting here. Welcome.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building