Need help for issue with Bachmann C&O 4-8-2 Mountain

Started by Steam Freak, June 09, 2008, 04:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

I have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 Mountain Class that I've been needing to fix for a long time now. One of the little wires on the orange plug connecting the engine to the tender came off. From what I understand, the only way to get this fixed is to send the engine in for repair?

It hasn't been under warrenty for a couple years now. I've been very lazy to get it repaired. How much will it cost for Bachmann to repair this?

I'm also guessing I should send it in with a letter and all?

robman

Hi there. I had a similar problem with a friends loco and its a bit far to send from here to there for service/repair so here's what I did. I pulled the loco apart and tracked the wires to the PC board and then ran new wires from there to the tender as a permanent hard wire job. The only thing now is that you can't uncouple the loco from the tender but as his locos don't leave the layout it's no problem. Just be careful about the wire you choose to do the job. Try and keep it as flexible as you can. Cheers Rob in Kiwiland.
Modeling over there over here

Steam Freak

Quote from: robman on June 09, 2008, 07:51:39 PM
Hi there. I had a similar problem with a friends loco and its a bit far to send from here to there for service/repair so here's what I did. I pulled the loco apart and tracked the wires to the PC board and then ran new wires from there to the tender as a permanent hard wire job. The only thing now is that you can't uncouple the loco from the tender but as his locos don't leave the layout it's no problem. Just be careful about the wire you choose to do the job. Try and keep it as flexible as you can. Cheers Rob in Kiwiland.

I'm not even about to try that lol. I don't have those kind of skills. Thats why I need to know how much it would be to send it in.

Bill Baker

Click on the Service/Parts link above.  It will cost $10.00 and gives you the address.  Yes, send a letter.
Bill

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Bill Baker on June 10, 2008, 09:15:49 AM
Click on the Service/Parts link above.  It will cost $10.00 and gives you the address.  Yes, send a letter.

A Spectrum engine will cost $20.00 for repair/servicing/replacement.
Pacific Northern

ta152h0

If you can find the manual that came with the beast, you might find the part number associated with the wire bundle and from that, you can order the part. I will agree with the above poster in regards to hard wiring the tender to the locomotive, but because of my eyes not being so good, that would be out of the question for me.

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: ta152h0 on June 10, 2008, 09:46:26 PM
If you can find the manual that came with the beast, you might find the part number associated with the wire bundle and from that, you can order the part. I will agree with the above poster in regards to hard wiring the tender to the locomotive, but because of my eyes not being so good, that would be out of the question for me.
Found that a Optivisor pretty much solve's this problem....one of the best investments I've made.  ;D
Rocky Lives

ta152h0

cool, an optivisor and a couple beers i will be a great solderes of small parts............. ;D  and putting rolling stock on the track withour a rerailer.