News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Downsized" 2-8-0

Started by Kevin Strong, June 12, 2008, 03:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

Okay, for all those folks complaining that Bachmann hasn't come out with any new 1:22 stuff, here's something to get your creative juices flowing.

This is a "downsized" Bachmann 2-8-0. Ordinarily, I take the 1:22 models and "upscale" them to 1:20. This time, things needed to go the other way. My dad wanted a new loco for his railroad and liked the Bachmann 2-8-0. Alas, dad's railroad was built prior to the popularity of 1:20, so some of his clearances are too tight for the larger models. That, and the stock loco dwarfs the rest of his rolling stock. So, he and I sat down and brainstormed over ways to make the stock 2-8-0 a smaller scale. This was a collaborative effort. He did the basic structural work; replacing and refitting the cab, trimming the running boards, and narrowing/shortening the front pilot. He brought the "roughed in" locomotive back out to me, and I did the finishing details and painting.

"Official" builders photo:

Engineer's side:

This illustrates the resulting size difference between the two. On the right, my 2-8-0, which--while modified--is unchanged in terms of overall dimensions.

The tender is a 1:24 model of an EBT mikado tender I had built years ago for a project that never got off the ground.

Photos of the loco prior to painting and more on the modifications can be found here:
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/33173/view/topic/Default.aspx

Later,

K

smcgill

Again Keven nice work!   ;D
Keep up the good work!   8)
Sean

az2rail

Ya. That is pretty nice. Makes me think I can do some of the changes I would like to make to my 1:20.3 connie.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

the Bach-man

Hey, Kevin!
It's a beauty!
Give my best regards to your dad.
the Bach-man