News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CLass J Drivers

Started by murfling, June 12, 2008, 08:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfling

I have just recently aquired a Norfolk and Western Class J (My third one) and when it runs, the left side pistons on the driver wheel unscrews itself, and one of the bars falls out of position, stopping the train.

Is there an easy fix to prevent this from happening, or do I need to return it for service?

I am a little leary of the service, because last year when I had to return one at Christmastime, it was 14 weeks before I got it back.

Thanx

Jonathan

THB-DAVE

Hi Jonathan: use 'Lock-tite' on the screw and put it back in. It will stay in. Get it at any auto supply store.

Dave

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: THB-DAVE on June 12, 2008, 08:33:24 AM
Hi Jonathan: use 'Lock-tite' on the screw and put it back in. It will stay in. Get it at any auto supply store.

Dave
And a 14 week turn around is the norm for the Bachmann service dept.
Rocky Lives

Ozzie21

I have found that the side rods on the "J" are poorly arranged. This tends to misallign the wheels which may be causing your problems. Have a look in copy of Hundmann's Loco Cyclopedia at the side rod arrangement of  a "J" class then compare it to yours.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

richG

When you use a thread locker like Loctite, a drop on the end of a toothpick should be plenty. Too much can cause problems. You want a thin film in the threads of the screw. When you reassemble the rod, use a Q tip to remove any excess thread locker.
I have used Loctite for years and it works very well.

Rich

Jhanecker2

Please remember that Locktite comes in several different formulations. Use one that doesn't  require a jackhammer or blasting caps to remove if you have to do repairs later.