Need Info re: Adjusting the Height of Kaydee Couplers

Started by BradKT, June 13, 2008, 10:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

This is the problem that I am encountering.  I have Athearn, Bachmann and Atlas diesel engines.   I have found that the rear coupler on the diesel engines is just a little too low (1/8" or less) to line up exactly with the front knuckle couplers on freight and passenger cars.  The freight cars are Athearn and Atlas.  The passenger cars are Athearn and IHC.  I have replaced (and am in the process of replacing) the couplers on the engines and freight cars with Kaydee knuckle couplers.  On a flat surface the couplers lock, but the rear coupler on the engine is so low, that it is only grasping only half the surface area of the front coupler on the passenger or freight car.  The result is that, predictably, on an incline or a slight bump, the engine and car(s) become uncoupled.

What a I have in mind is selecting a few freight and passenger cars where I would (if I can) lower the front Kaydee coupler so that it lines up correctly with the rear coupler on the diesel engine.  The couplers on the freight and passenger cars line up correctly.  The problem appears to be just the couplers between the diesel engine and the first car.

What would be the right Kaydee coupler to use in order to do that?  What else do I need?  How do I accomplish this?  What tools will I need? 

This is a major problem.  Nothing more irritating than having your trains constantly uncoupling.

Does anyone know of any good articles or have good information re: how to
do what I am trying to do?  Or do you have any alternate suggestions?

pdlethbridge

Kadee sells orange and gray shims to raise trucks on cars.
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page143.htm
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page144.htm
They also sell a coupler height gauge
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page120.htm
These are an absolute must to get their couplers working correctly.

SteamGene

A height gauge is a must, as are the red and gray washers.  In addition, if the problem is too great, Kaydee sells offset shank couplers, raising or lowering the knuckle to fit correctly for height.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

You may very well need Kadee couplers with off-set shank. Log onto their website - www.kadee.com (be sure to spell it correctly.)

Jhanecker2

Wouldn't it be better to raise the couplers on your diesels instead of lowering the couplers on your cars ?  All of your couplers should of course should be in conformance to the coupler height gage .

Paul M.

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on June 14, 2008, 10:00:30 AM
Wouldn't it be better to raise the couplers on your diesels instead of lowering the couplers on your cars ?  All of your couplers should of course should be in conformance to the coupler height gage .

Sometimes the locomotive coupler boxes are hard to get into, though.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

BradKT

I visited the Kaydee website and found references to "overset", "underset," and "centerset" shanks, but not to "offset" shanks.  What exactly do you mean when you refer to an "offset" shank"?  Please clarify.

SteamGene

Overset is when the knuckle is higher than the norm, underset is the reverse.  Offset is either - that is not centered like the standard.  If your coupler is too low, you need an overset; if too high, an underset.  Try, first, with the underset, to raise the carbody using Kaydee washers. 
You will also find different shank lengths for Kaydee couplers - normal, close,and extended. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Hmmm, should I say something or not?..Naw, I'm too nice a guy. :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

BradKT

pdlethbridge

Their height gauge is a must, not only for the couplers, but also for the track magnets. If the couplers are not set right, they will not uncouple. Start simple, Only do one engine and a car or two. see how it goes. If the work well, try so more. Don't try to do too much to start or you'll quickly get overwhelmed. The settings can be as little as .010"-.015"  we're not talking a lot here, but do everything carefully and accurately and you'll be satisfied with the results. Let us know how things are going.  Paul

lirrman

Yampa Bob:
If you were REALLY a nice guy you would have discreetly mentioned that Gene accidently reversed the over and underset information so the guy won't buy the wrong couplers.
LIRRMAN

rogertra

Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.  Kadee.

There!  Now I feel better.

One of the most important suppliers to the model railroad Vs "toy train" industry and yet one of the most commonly misspelt.

Yampa Bob

Well, ok, since I really am a nice guy, I will give a discreet comment.

First we have to read the original question.  Brad said the couplers on the locos are too low, so need to be raised to the car height. (should say "correct height", his car couplers could be incorrect also)

He needs Underset couplers, the shank is at the bottom of the coupler, thus the name "underset shank".  This will raise the coupler knuckle.

The terms "over" and "under" refer to position of the shank in relation to the centerline of the knuckle.  Undershank, as described by Kadee, is for low mounting platforms.

Bottom line is, he needs to use whatever style shank that sets the knuckle at the correct height, as determined by the height gauge. (25/64" top of rail to knuckle center). 

The Kadee height gauge is very handy, but a piece of cardstock with a mark at 25/64" serves just as well in case one doesn't yet have the gauge.  One detail often overlooked; vertical slop of coupler in box must be minimized to prevent unwanted uncoupling, usually in compressed situations where one coupler tries to ride up over the other.  That's why I like the #148 box, very precise vertical tolerance.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.