News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Favorite Bachmann Steamer

Started by Pacific Northern, June 17, 2008, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Just out of curiosity what is your favorite Bachmann steamer?

My favorite was the newer Spectrum 4-4-0 which I think is a fantastic little steamer.

However, I recently obtained a 4-6-0 with the 63" drivers and I find myself totally mesmerized watching it run.  I find watching the valve gear is almost hypnotic.

I have one of the low drivers pulling freight on my layout but watching the high driver pulling my set of 60' Riverossi coaches is a great sight to behold.

Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

I too love small steam.  And 4-4-0s have long been a favourite real world locomotive.  Kind of makes my choice easy on this one. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Guilford Guy

I have a soft spot for the decapods. The 4-4-0 is nice, but some of the details don;t look right in my mind. The 4-6-0 is a real winner. The 2-8-0 seems a little bland to me now, and I can't put my finger on it. Despite my love for the smaller steam, I'm going to say the 4-8-2's.
Alex

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 17, 2008, 03:37:59 PM
I have a soft spot for the decapods. The 4-4-0 is nice, but some of the details don;t look right in my mind. The 4-6-0 is a real winner. The 2-8-0 seems a little bland to me now, and I can't put my finger on it. Despite my love for the smaller steam, I'm going to say the 4-8-2's.

Yes the 4-8-2's are a nice engine as well. Must say it is difficult as all of the Spectrum engines I have seen are certainly decent quality and details certainly are not lacking.

I  have mothballed my larger steamers for now. My layout is mainly 22" with some 18" radius so the larger steamers just do not look right. I also mothballed my Spectrum and Walthers passenger coaches as well.

Will have to wait until it is time for a new layout at which time I will incorporate larger curves which those steamers and coaches require.
Pacific Northern

Daylight4449

I love the gs4 and i don't even have one.

SteamGene

Well, I have the 2-8-0, the USRA light and heavy Mountain (both C&O and undec), the 2-6-6-2 (both C&O and undec), the USRA light Santa Fe, and the C&O K-4.  I like them all, though I have not tried to see what the 2-10-2 will pull. 
Had I smaller curves, the big engines would not be present and I might have the Russian 2-10-0 and the 4-6-0. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on June 17, 2008, 04:15:15 PM
Well, I have the 2-8-0, the USRA light and heavy Mountain (both C&O and undec), the 2-6-6-2 (both C&O and undec), the USRA light Santa Fe, and the C&O K-4.  I like them all, though I have not tried to see what the 2-10-2 will pull. 
Had I smaller curves, the big engines would not be present and I might have the Russian 2-10-0 and the 4-6-0. 
Gene

I had planned on a layout that would have allowed larger curves however the room became unavailable and I had to settle for a smaller layout.

Unfortunately I had  acquired a number of larger steam engines during the interim. 

Oh well the next layout
Pacific Northern

rogertra

All the ones I don't have problems with.  Which is most of them.  Some 20 plus at last count.

I have one, possibly two early 2-10-0s and one 2-8-0 with a slipping drives.

If they weren't detailed and weathered, I'd send 'em back but it looks as though I'll have to repair them myself.

TexasChief

::) It would be the ATSF 4-8-4 Northern  IF  it had traction tires or about twice the weight!!!
Santa Fe All The Way!

kevin2083

I'm still going to go with the Shay. 
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

rowdyjoe

1.  GS4  4-8-4 War Baby

2.  Hudson

3.  Challenger

SteamGene

Joe,
Bachmann doesn't make a Hudson or, THANK GOD, a Challenger.   I'm not sure about the War Baby. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: kevin2083 on June 18, 2008, 08:46:34 AM
I'm still going to go with the Shay. 

Amen to the Shays!          Stephen

john tricarico

i can only say   niagara

good luck  john t  brooklyn ny

Paul M.

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 17, 2008, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 17, 2008, 03:37:59 PM

Yes the 4-8-2's are a nice engine as well.

I think my Light 4-8-2 is my favorite Spectrum steam locomotive. It runs very well.

Quote from: SteamGene on June 18, 2008, 10:06:12 AM
Joe,
Bachmann doesn't make a Hudson or, THANK GOD, a Challenger.   I'm not sure about the War Baby. 
Gene

Gene, they make a War Baby. It's just a specially painted GS4.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific