News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Favorite Bachmann Steamer

Started by Pacific Northern, June 17, 2008, 02:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric_L

Easy, the shay. Mine is a smooth runner and one of my favorites to run. Plus, a brass version cost about 4x as much.
Eric

Santa Fe buff

I've always wanted a BLI Big Boy, just to boot my big engines side.
Now that J series Norfolk and Western on Bachmann would be of my liking also,
but what I really want is a huge bulky challenger class ATSF.
I am doing the 80s-90s on my layout, but those were great years for on the line excursions. 
  ;D Maybe some Dash-9-44CWs, but I rather keep that away from the favorite steamer topic.
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on July 16, 2008, 11:50:25 AM
I've always wanted a BLI Big Boy, just to boot my big engines side.
Now that J series Norfolk and Western on Bachmann would be of my liking also,
but what I really want is a huge bulky challenger class ATSF.
I am doing the 80s-90s on my layout, but those were great years for on the line excursions. 
  ;D Maybe some Dash-9-44CWs, but I rather keep that away from the favorite steamer topic.

The topic is Favorite Bachmann Steamer
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

Back on page ! of this thread, I said the I liked 4-4-0's, which made the choice easy.  Then I discovered Bachmann's On30 4-4-0's.  It was love at first sight.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Santa Fe buff

Me two, I want to get one, when I save up money, but I'm thinking of that Silverton & Durago set for they have great steamers too. For Bachmann HO, I love the http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1093 steamer. As well as the 4-8-2!
- Joshua Bauer

rowdyjoe

Well folks, I've finally decided between the two Bachman steamers I own (War Baby and Heavy Mountain) and the Spectrum Heavy Mountain (4-8-2) wins hands down.  Not only is the quaity better but, it is one heavy duty hauler ... very powerful.  The War Baby is nice but, not in the same class operationally.

RJ

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bill Baker

I agree....great work.

Roger, what is the minimum radius does the Decapod run on?  Will it handle 18"?
Bill

rogertra

Thanks for the compliments guys.  One down, two more to go.  Right now though, I'm adding a vestibule cab and running board skirts to a heavy 4-8-2 and kitbashing the tender to match the vestibule cab as nothing looks more odd than a vestibule cab coupled to an unmodified tender.

Bill. 

Sorry, no idea of the minimum radius but all of my steam, will go around my 28" radius curves with the tender close coupled though I have to do some minor kitbashing on the tenders so that the tender will clear the cab roof.

I'd expect the 2-10-0 to manage an 18" cruve but not with the tender close coupled.

Coach

The Shay is a no-brainer, followed by the Climax, but the one loco that was a stretch for me, but I am really glad I bought one is the 4-6-0. Beautiful looks and runs so well.
Coach

trainmanchris

my favorite engine would have to be the bachmann light 4-8-2 and i'll like it even more when i put DCC and sound in it! ;D

Yampa Bob

My Bachmann steam roster consists of 4 Connie 2-8-0 Union Pacific. They came with Vandy tenders, but I changed 2 out to USRA Medium tenders, all have been renumbered and renamed to YVRR.  They look great with my Overton and Overland coaches. To complete my excursion theme, I have 4 of the new Bachmann open excursions on pre-order, in yellow and silver. 

I have no plans to purchase anything larger, so I guess my favorite is what I have now.  When I find something I like, I stick with it.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

faraway

My favorite is the 2-8-0. It is the smallest engine with the typical appearance of larger US steamers. That is an important fact due to my small layout not permitting larger engines (I own also 2-10-0 and Mikado but they do not really fit). The second advantage is the extreme smooth and silent running. My four 2-8-0 run as soft and silent like much more expensive models.

The smaller 4-6-0 (low and high boiler) and the 4-4-0 are nice too (I own some of each) but they do not run as smooth as the 2-8-0. They make all kind of sounds. Not to loud but well noticeable. They are great second winners ;D
Reinhard