News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Susquehanna 2-10-0 Valve Gear ?

Started by rocko5901, March 03, 2007, 02:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocko5901

Hi all  I'm new here & reading the posts, find it's a nice site, I'm on a bunch of Yahoo forums & much prefer this type, great job here!!
My question is, does the SQ 2-10-0 have Walschaerts valve gear? Thanks in advance, Russell Cadotte, Vernon BC NMRA PNR member  CPR steam modeller

Woody Elmore

These Susquehanna engines (class J-2, 2400 series)were "russian"decapods which were either leased or purchased from the erie Raiklroad.

A google search found several pictures and the engines did have Walshaerts Valve gear - the lifting link is very clear in all the pictures.

rocko5901

Hi Woody  Thank You sir!!  Russell

Woody Elmore

You're welcome. Good luck modelling the "Susie-Q!"

Incidentally, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the valve Gear on the prototype Erie/Susquehanna engines or the kind supplied with the Bachmann engines.

If you go to the "Fallen Flags" website they have photos of a number of Susquehanna russian decapods. I really like the diesel engine paint jobs that the Susie-Q used.

rocko5901

This one is going to be a CPR 5700 series conversion, I have a friend with a huge CPR steam pic & neg collection, lots of reference material. I'm working on a Spectrum WM 2-8-0 to a 3600 series CPR Consol, they're fairly close, there was an article in one of the mags of a similar conversion to a CPR subsidiary line's loco.  Regards, Russell