News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0

Started by Daylight4449, June 19, 2008, 04:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

my 0-6-0 is not running!. iT ran fine and all of the sudden it stopped. i am confused. the motor isn't running a far as I can tell. I have no money to spend on a new one and I bought it two januarys ago but have no papers.

Shay Fan

Are you sure the problem isn't the track or the power pack?

Daylight4449

well, i meant to post this in ho but anyway, my other locos work fine.

Santa Fe buff

With that cleared up, now, is your locomotive geared? Or does the engine within have any old or any gears at all? If so, what condition is it in. This can be the gears, if they don't turn for certain locomotives, then the engine won't run. If they are dirty or older, clean them off with a cotton swab or some dry cloth, and apply lubricant to them. But apply certain thickness of lubricant to certain gears, depending on the job they preform.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 19, 2008, 04:18:16 PMiT ran fine and all of the sudden it stopped.
That happens to my trains when I unplug them!

Quotei am confused
That's a Shame!

Quotethe motor isn't running a far as I can tell. I have no money to spend on a new one and I bought it two januarys ago but have no papers.
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist being sarcastic.
Its a possibility the wheels are out of quarter. Try to get access to the gearbox. Remove the drive wheels from it, and see if there is anything out of the ordinary (pet hair, etc) and remove that. Put the wheels back in, and make sure the drive wheels are aligned. If one driver is put in rotated slightly, the locomotives wheels may bind, causing it to not run. I've had this happen to a 250$ Maerklin 4-6-2. Sadly the weaker drive rod metal caused the drive rod to bend outwards at an awful angle. Its awaiting TLC at the moment. Make sure theres nothing out of the ordinary in the gear box and make sure the wheels aren't out of quarter before sending it into repair. Since you said you got it two January's ago, I'm assuming its an older run with older tooling (poor compared to the current equipment.) I wish you luck in your endeavors, although do to the quality and troubles you may wish to make it a static display behind your roundhouse.
Alex

the Bach-man

Dear Daylight,
Give the service department a call anyway. They'll do their best for you.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rogertra

Is this loco and 0-6-0 or an 0-6-0T?

Some members of this board tend to forget that that's a difference.

One set of problems for an 0-6-0 may be different for an 0-6-0T.

SteamGene

If a Bachmann 0-6-0, is it one of the newer (last four years or so) or an older one?  The older ones are no good. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Guilford Guy on June 19, 2008, 11:01:33 PM
Quote from: Daylight4449 on June 19, 2008, 04:18:16 PMiT ran fine and all of the sudden it stopped.
That happens to my trains when I unplug them!

Quotei am confused
That's a Shame!

Quotethe motor isn't running a far as I can tell. I have no money to spend on a new one and I bought it two januarys ago but have no papers.
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist being sarcastic.
Its a possibility the wheels are out of quarter. Try to get access to the gearbox. Remove the drive wheels from it, and see if there is anything out of the ordinary (pet hair, etc) and remove that. Put the wheels back in, and make sure the drive wheels are aligned. If one driver is put in rotated slightly, the locomotives wheels may bind, causing it to not run. I've had this happen to a 250$ Maerklin 4-6-2. Sadly the weaker drive rod metal caused the drive rod to bend outwards at an awful angle. Its awaiting TLC at the moment. Make sure theres nothing out of the ordinary in the gear box and make sure the wheels aren't out of quarter before sending it into repair. Since you said you got it two January's ago, I'm assuming its an older run with older tooling (poor compared to the current equipment.) I wish you luck in your endeavors, although do to the quality and troubles you may wish to make it a static display behind your roundhouse.

Good one, I cracked up on that!
- Joshua Bauer

Paul M.

Quote from: SteamGene on June 20, 2008, 07:21:35 AM
If a Bachmann 0-6-0, is it one of the newer (last four years or so) or an older one?  The older ones are no good. 
Gene

As far as I can terll , and correct me if I'm woring, but the newer ones have a blue box. The older, junkier ones had a white box.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Daylight4449

new and not the tank.

hobo1

daylight, do yourself a favor -AVOID BACHMANN STANDARD LINE STEAM LOCOS BECAUSE THEY ARE JUNK! THEIR SPECTRUM LINE IS VERY GOOD OR BUY A PROTO 0-6-0 LIKE I HAVE. THEY ARE VASTLY SUPERIOR LOCOS

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: hobo1 on July 20, 2008, 04:37:13 PM
daylight, do yourself a favor -AVOID BACHMANN STANDARD LINE STEAM LOCOS BECAUSE THEY ARE JUNK! THEIR SPECTRUM LINE IS VERY GOOD OR BUY A PROTO 0-6-0 LIKE I HAVE. THEY ARE VASTLY SUPERIOR LOCOS
I agree, but I rather buy cheap, they can run somewhat good.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Quote from: hobo1 on July 20, 2008, 04:37:13 PM
In detail, but not pulling power... The new stuff is alright, the old stuff is-for lack of a better word- terrible...
Alex

SteamGene

What lacks pulling power?  Spectrum Standard, or Proto 2000 steam?  The 2-8-4s sure do.  But I'm happy with my 0-8-0s.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"