News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Detailling a Bachmann Consolidation

Started by jon grant 4472, March 03, 2007, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon grant 4472

It is reasonably well accepted that the basis for this loco is the Illinois Central 2-8-0.

Using the Model Railroader book on steam locos which has some photos and a drawing in it, I hacked off a few bits, moved some others and added a few more to come up with something resembling the IC prototype.

Detail #1  The sand dome (plastic sheet)

Jon

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

jon grant 4472

Detail #2  the front end

detail #3  straightening the footboard and moving the Westinghouse pump

detail #4   shortening the tender

detail #5  adding tender sidesheets

Jon

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

jon grant 4472

Painted and lettered

Comparison with an unmodified consolidation

All in all, a fun conversion/detailling project which took a few evenings. All the bits came from the spares box, except the soundchip and speaker.

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

NevinW

That is excellent.  I love a good kitbash, detail job on a steam locomotive to make it look more like a prototype.  My favorite kind of modeling.  Well done. -  Nevin

Atlantic Central

jon,

Very nice work! Maybe more awareness of this kind of modeling will help us prompt Mr. Riley into truely getting a parts department.

And again, great job jon!

Sheldon

John C

Wonderful work Jon.  These pics should be included in the Bach-man's Gallery.  There is a section for Consolidations.  I checked your site out too.  Many interesting scenes.  Cheers!

lanny

Jon,

Beautiful work! You created a very, very nice ICRR #908 kit-bash model. Thanks for all those great and very helpful photos! I too would like to see your series permanently placed in Mr. Bach Man's "Consolidation" photo archive area.

Your photos of the tender are specially helpful, Jon. It's the tender that has been holding me back from starting the very same project. I've been scared to cut into the tender. Ray Breyer has sent me some hints about shortening the tender as well. All this is great info for ICRR modelers!

Again, congratulations on a beautiful job of modeling and thanks for sharing all the photos. If you have more photos of the process you went through, and have time, I would love to receive them via private eMail (editortcs@aol.com) if you prefer.

One other thing ... again only if you have time; could you either post or send privately the dimensions (in inches, please :-) you used to create the Paducah style sand dome?

Keep up the great work!

lanny nicolet

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Nice work.  "Twas a brave man who cut out his first sand dome."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nigel

Quote from: atlanticcentral on March 03, 2007, 10:06:46 AM
jon,

Very nice work! Maybe more awareness of this kind of modeling will help us prompt Mr. Riley into truely getting a parts department.

And again, great job jon!

Sheldon

Unfortunately, Mr Riley probably has no control over parts from Kader (Bachmann's parent) in China.  Thier factory's license most likely specifies a minimum value add assembly to all incoming parts.  This is just one of the many regulatory issues with having a factory in China.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jon grant 4472

Thanks uys

Quote from: lanny on March 03, 2007, 02:51:29 PM
Ray Breyer has sent me some hints about shortening the tender as well. All this is great info for ICRR modelers!

Ray sent me some excellent shots of the #908 tender - I still have a few bits to add - rear steps and such like...

If you have more photos of the process you went through, and have time, I would love to receive them via private eMail (editortcs@aol.com) if you prefer.

All the in-progress photos I have are probably already in this topic, but I can take some more pics of specific areas if you want.

could you post the dimensions (in inches, please :-) you used to create the Paducah style sand dome?

I'll get onto it as best I can - I'm a mm/cm modeller rather than an incher.

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

Stephen Warrington

:D Very nice work indeed wish my eyes would let me chop into my heavy mountain and Consolidation as well but I got one half of a good eye and just building HO kits is a pain in the caboose! can I send you mine for conversion LOL.

Keep up the good work.

Stephen

lanny

Jon,

Hello again. I do have one request regarding one 'closeup' photo I sure would appreciate seeing ... I would be very interested in a good 'close up' photo of the pilot mounted airpumps, piping and brackets on your #908. Those airpumps look to be 'styrene'? or are they brass painted black? Only 'if' and 'when' you have time, though.

Thanks very much.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

Nigel,

I will be the first to admitt I know nothing of Chinnese export law, but, Life Like, now Walthers, has no problem suppling Proto2000 parts, and I have never seen any problem of this sort that a few lawyers and a few dollars could not find an answer to, even in China.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Darn, this is getting to be a habit!  I agree with Sheldon again!  I have had great luck getting parts from Life Like, even when telling them the parts were for bashing. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"