News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Book

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, July 04, 2008, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

IS great, better then i thought it would be, but i feel its missing something....Ballasting the track, I couldn't find it in there. Its more then just track plans for those wondering.

I give it 4 stars outta 5. Missing somethings but its a good reading book.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Santa Fe buff

I think I got one with the 'E-Z track expansion kit', am I right?
- Joshua Bauer

BaltoOhioRRfan

I dont think so, this is a seprate publication with some track plans and tips and technques. its like one of the Kalmbach Books only featured around EZ tracks (shows how to build some replica layouts of some real railroads)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

BIG BEAR

Hey all,
        It looks like the long awaited new 100+ page book has arrived.
    The previous books were:
"Bachmann's EZ track system" book was copyright 1995 has over 20
layouts. The "Book II" has another 6-8 layouts was copyright 1998.
Book II came with some expansion kits.
      I'll have to call before I go to my hobby shop that has all the books.
The price of gas can be a real detrement to purchasing railroad items.

Enjoy,
                  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

jaellis

Hi,

Can I ask where you got the book.  I see on the web site that it's supposed to be available now, but there is still no 'Order Online' link on the product page.  The other online retailers I use still show it as not in stock also.

Thanks,
       Jim

BaltoOhioRRfan

www.modeltrainstuff.com I dont want to break any rules on the forum about advertising but we are selling it at MSRP so I hope this ok. ( I work there)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

Coach

I got my book from Carstens (RMC) at the Trainshow at Anaheim. The track ballasting instructions are in the scenery section on page 89-90.

Coach

John Honeck Sr

I received this book"E-ZModel Railroads", by Chris Lane. Starting on page 63 (Chapter 10) "Ho Scale Northeast Corridor" talks about a railroad layout. It shows two yards, the Penn Station and The Car shops. The track plans seem not be in scale, Like all of the Atlas track plan books, the track sections are not labled (9", 3', 18" curve, turnout number, etc.) Also there is no complete layout showing how you get from on section to the other. is the complete lay out on a 4 x 8 table , on a 12' x12' L shaped table, or what? I say the chapter is not complete. The other layouts are very simple and not to creative. I have seen them on line by other sources.

TrampTrader

Hi Folks,

So is there a consensus of whether or not this book would be worth the investment, for a newbie planning on building a first, H.O. 4 X 8 layout, using the Bachmann E-Z Track system ?

Pete  :-)

Terry Toenges

Tramp -
I'd say yes.
While the book has it's shortcomings, it's still a wealth of information for a newbie.
It can take you from start to finish in building an EZ Track layout.
If you plan on getting creative with your track plan, don't overlook the 2" straights which open up more plan opportunities. They just aren't publicized and they are included with the 90 degree crossing.
I look at it as buying a card of 2" straights and getting a free crossing instead of buying the crossing just to get the crossing.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

To add to that -
If I was a decision maker at Bachmann, I would change the printing on the card (on which the 2 inch straights/90 crossing come)  to read - "Four 2 inch straights. Free 90 degree crossing included".
Feel like a Mogul.

TrampTrader

Terry,

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate your response.

Jhanecker2

I finally got a copy. I was out running around getting something for the house and decided to take the scenic route back home ,and went to a hobby shop that I had ordered some wheels sets from ,to see if they finally found them or got a new set in . While waiting to be served , I looked at the literature rack and found a couple of copies.  I was informed that they just came in . The gods were smiling upon me  and the wheel sets were eventually found .  I read some of the book and found it relatively informative ,well illustrated , and adequate for beginning on the subject. I looked through the Appendixes and found appendix "A" to be the track plans in the original E-Z track Plan .    A Good Start  but  Atlas did it better and has more track plans .   Hopfully more plans will be forth coming from Bachmann in the Future.   John II

TrampTrader

John,

Hopefully Bachmann will come out with a 2nd edition of this new book, with a bunch of additional layout plans.  From what I'm hearing, the new book is good,  but could use many more layout ideas than those that are presented.

Jhanecker2

What  I really wanted to see in the Bachman Book is a section that showed various combinations  of  track   with variations at gave you the ability to see how various features could be constructed with dimensions.  One of the Atlas Track layout books has an Appendix with all the features with engineering data.   It gives diagrams on how to construct different forms of wyes , turnouts , cross-overs  and other  features.  Next time I go back into the shop , I will find the Book and give you the  Number . If you can get a look at a copy you will see what I mean. Bachmann 's method of laying out parts is logical , but expensive .