News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement wheels

Started by Tony438, March 04, 2007, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony438

I need to replace some wheelsets on my Bachmann freight but I don't see any
listed on the Bachmann site.  Where can I purchase them?

SteamGene

I'm not sure Bachmann sells wheel sets.  But you can get Kadee, Intermountain, or Life Like metal wheelsets in groups of twelve in any good hobby shop.  They fit the Bachman  trucks.  If you have a truck reamer, use it before inserting the trucks. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Tony,

Gene's advice is the best if you want really nice rolling quality for your freight cars. If, however, you are just looking to replace the original plastic wheel/axel sets with new plastic/wheel axel sets, contact me off line. No doubt, as with many others on the forum, I have lots and lots of 'never used' plastic wheel/plastic axel sets and would be glad to send you some free.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

michtrainguy

I just tried fitting some Proto 2000 metal wheels into my Bachmann box cars and the axle is longer than the old plastic ones, therefore the wheels are very stiff to turn.

Would a reaming tool help?

Or should I try a different brand of metal wheels with shorter axles? If so which ones? Are the Kadees or Atlas any shorter?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Glen

lanny

Hi Glenn,

'Reaming' should definitely help. Whether it will completely solve your problem is hard to tell. Kadee, Proto 2000 and Atlas are all nice wheels. I personally really like Intermountain wheel/axle sets. I seem to get the best free rolling qualities from them.

One of the experts hopefully can give you a better insight into reaming Bachmann trucks to accept the wheel sets you have mentioned.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

I use Kadee and Intermountain when I can find them. It seems like lately everyone is out of the 33" Intermountain metal wheels as I have tried 4 places on line and everyone is out. I would ream the trucks first a must on most Bachmann older rolling stock. I just got a new Silver Series 250 ton Big hook and it is one of the nicest Bachmann freight pieces I own all wheels in guage with metal wheels and couplers mounted at the right height.

Kadee also makes a good free rolling wheel sets and trucks. they are lighter than the Intermountain but just as nice for the price.

Reboxx makes metal wheels with different axle lengths, butI have never used them myself.

Stephen

Nigel

Quote from: michtrainguy on April 04, 2007, 06:47:26 PM
Would a reaming tool help?

Or should I try a different brand of metal wheels with shorter axles? If so which ones? Are the Kadees or Atlas any shorter?

Reaming tool is REQUIRED.  It should be in your tool box, just like a coupler hieght guage, and calipers to measure axle lengths.

P2K wheels have axles shorter than IM, which are shorter than Kadee (and Branchline).  I prefer Branchline to Kadee.  Atlas offers two different axle lengths, but they do not publish the lengths.  The "caboose" wheelsets have very short axles.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955