News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

disassembly of the 2-6-0

Started by sagemoregils, July 01, 2008, 09:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagemoregils

Hi new here but model railroader from way back.
Im getting ready to back date a 2-6-0 to DSP&P style, but have run into problem. Is there any better information on taking the 2-6-0 apart other then the exploded drawing? I got to a point where I cant find a way to get it apart. Cab off, pilot off brake, rigging hanging cant get it out, I know there is a wire connection but cant seem to see it or get it loose, wheels loose but not unhooked from side rods Cant get boiler off to get to screws.

the Bach-man

Dear Sage.
At this point you should be able to pry the boiler back away from the frame and rotate the boiler up and over the cylinder saddle.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

sagemoregils

Hello B-Man
The back of the boiler starts to pry up, then stops as the boiler front is held by something in the cylinder saddle area. I can't see a screw or anything in front, under the breakshoes/pickup assembly. Is the Body shell held into the cylinder saddle by something? I tried giving a little extra force but at this point I feel something is going to break. I have the pilot wheel and pilot off and when I look down in the hole where the smoke stack was I see an electrical connection but nothing else.
Sage >:( ???

Dusten Barefoot

Did you take the rails off the smoke box? Also try using a little more force, if you do it too slow and gentel, you will break off more parts, well that is how it is for me anyway.
Rock On
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

sagemoregils

>:( Well I tried a litle more force and it broke the brakeshoe pick up piece.
The force required to pull it apart was so much that my hand slipped off and cought the pick up piece and snapped it. So now what????? And it still is not apart. I've been a mechanic for 20 years I;ve won NMRA Locmotive construction contest in ON3 awards but I cant get this apart and ruined a good Locomotive.  3 days of trying and I end up with junck.  >:( >:( >:( >:( at this point the rear of the boiler is still not clear of the chassis so I will need to put even more forece to try and clear it. As far as I can tell I still need 1/4 to 1/2 inch to try and clear the rear of the chassis. I can't apply that much force to it, the body shell will break.
Sage

The Old Fardt

Very bad idea to recommend someone, vigarious force unless you know exactly what it takes to do the deed....

I've had a few engines myself that did take a bit of extra effort but it usually is a locking tab or a hidden screw that makes dis-assembly difficult.
Always pry or force with care, REALLY, or zingo, you've got trouble.
Cheers,
TOF

David(UK)

You all seem to be missing something.
The front end of the boiler is held by a lug on the Smokebox support.
"Pull the Boiler Stays and the
Lubricator piping away from the
boiler indicated by the circles. Push
the chisel blade behind the boiler
lug and twist. Don't worry about
slightly displacing the cylinders.
The initial removal is the hardest.
The back lug is easy just put a
screwdriver under it and the boiler
should be free."
These are the instructions from the now defunct Harold Minkwitz's Site.
If you want to email me off list I can send you the complete articles with photos re dis-assembling the 2-60 and fitting DCC.
Regards
david(UK)
0n30 Rail Baron of Leeds
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

The Old Fardt

Ahhh yes someone with the experience has arrived with the help needed. Thanks David, we sure need the assistance. Make mine Guinness...STOUT..
Cheers,
TOF

sagemoregils

:) Ok I got it apart, I can fix it, but that is just rude the way that comes apart. David (UK) did the trick, and I have now found and ordered a 2006 issue, I had just bought the 2007-2008 issues 2 months ago when I got back into it. So to everyone thanks  ;) Free rides on the Tarryall Creek Railroad, between Jefferson on the DSP&P and Woodland Park on the Colorado Midland 1914 (has soon as we get track laid down)
Sagemoregils Co Owner/Operater/Head Mecanic (Wife is listed as owner)
:D

The Old Fardt

bt549

Nasty ?  Rather sounds dirty !

Since you have a right to choose what words you think is appropriate, I leave it at that.

Cheers,
TOF

renniks

I have fitted decoders in a couple of the Moguls and had the same trouble with both. After the front tab has been lifted a little the boiler will move back enough to disengage the back tab. the boiler should now lift straight up . I say should but thats when you have trouble.  The sides of the boiler aperture  foul the brass motor connection strips or something around them. Place the loco on the bench facing you. place a hand on each side and insert a finger nail between bottom of boiler and chassis midway along its length . Prise the sides of boiler apart and lift.  When replacing boiler, first hold it above the chassis in its correct position in relation to the chassis and looking from the side note the positon of the motor connectors. Now file or carve about 1/16" off  around that position on both sides of the boiler opening.  Try to lower boiler without squeezing it and see if it will slide on or if something is still catching.  Remove plastic from boiler until it will easily slide on.  Boiler should push down until both front and back tabs snap back into lock position.

Eric UK

0n30nutz

Hey all,

H Minky's website is back,and his photo 'what he did' article on installing decoders/sound in the Mogul is outstanding. It tokk me about three minutes to deboiler the Mogul following Harold's instructions.
  www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com
Check out all of his articles, they are outstanding!
If it ain't steam, it ain't...