News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Proto GP shell removal help

Started by Gene P., March 04, 2007, 06:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene P.

I was wondering if anyone know the trick to removing the shell of a proto 2000 GP38-2 shell? The instructions weren't helpful in that area. Thanks in advance!!
Twin Forks R.R.

HOplasserem80c

there should be some swrews behind the trucks or it just clips on and off

Guilford Guy

Gene- If its anything like the GP30's unscrew the coupler box screws and slide teh coupler boxes out. then there are also 2 screws between the front truck and the fuel tank which should be removed. Then just carefully slide the shell off the chassis.
Alex

lanny

Alex is correct ... the Proto GP38-2 must have the couplers carefully removed, and then you will find at least two other screws near the fuel tank (hard to see) that must be removed. Really look over everything carefully to make sure all screws have been removed ... that puppy is a 'pain' to find and remove all the screws, but once you have, the body comes off quite easily. "Very gently" is the word when removing anything on a Proto 2K.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Gene P.

Thanks for the help, off to work now, but I'll make another attempt this evening. Man, these DCC upgrades are addictive!
Twin Forks R.R.

FFJOHNL312

Gene:
Since you are doing a GP38-2, I will let you know that there may be an issue where the numberboards are wired in such a way that when the decoder is installed, you can fry it. Do a search at Tony's Train Exchange for the advisory.
John Loesch
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

FFJOHNL312

DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

Guilford Guy

Quote from: lanny on March 04, 2007, 10:07:22 PM
Alex is correct ... the Proto GP38-2 must have the couplers carefully removed, and then you will find at least two other screws near the fuel tank (hard to see) that must be removed. Really look over everything carefully to make sure all screws have been removed ... that puppy is a 'pain' to find and remove all the screws, but once you have, the body comes off quite easily. "Very gently" is the word when removing anything on a Proto 2K.

lanny nicolet
just to add to lanny's post- when you remove the coupler boxes there are 2 more screws the below where the coupler box was that should NOT be removed unless you wish to take the metal weight off to access the motor+trucks.
Alex

lanny

Thanks for adding the note on the screws NOT to be removed, GG!

I have, at times, done just that ... removed screws thinking that would make a shell come off more easily, only to find that I loosened the motor or some other frusrtatingly difficult item to get back in to original condition!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Guilford Guy

and there is one screw under each coupler just to clarify...
Alex