Elevating a section of track on HO

Started by sloan, July 24, 2008, 09:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloan

Jhanecker2

Probably in the range of 1.5 to 2 % would be acceptible ; any more  starts leading to slippage and reduced towing capacity.

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

barrowsr

Most grade situations are driven by layout size.  You grade will be the a function of the length of track needed to cross over another section of track.  You can save a little space by using a shallow bridge vice plywood and roadbed at the crossover point.  A figure 8 layout on a 4x8 sheet of plywood will probably have more than a 4% grade yet many folks make this work by using few cars and keeping train length at a minimum.  Be sure to make the transition from flat to grade (up or down) a gradual one or you'lll get a shoestring effect and derailments.  Most home layouts have between 2% and 6% with the really largest able to have less than 2%.

Hope this helps,

Robin

ebtnut

Kind of a rule of thumb: 

Main Line operations; long trains - Keep to 2% or less

Branch Line/Short Line; fairly short trains - Up to 3%

Logging, Mining, special operations - Up to 4%; logging maybe 5% with geared locos. 

Yampa Bob

The only grades I have are the transitions from mainline to the freight yards.  I have gradual tapered beds made of balsa for the drill leads, so the grade is only about 2%. Moving several cars around with the short switcher presents no problem.  I would prefer a lesser grade, but I'm limited with the 4 X 8 layout.

As mentioned, avoid abrubt elevation changes.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.