Old memories...train-car crossover...is there anything like this today?

Started by Irish Rover, July 14, 2008, 11:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Rover

Long ago, I had an old slot car set, and it had a piece of track that had a railroad crossing for HO trains to cross the road.  Does anyone make anything like that?
I took an unholy delight in trying to nail the cars with the train if the racers didn't stop for me...

ebtnut

I think that crossing was done by either Atlas or Aurora.  Believe it or not, just because of what you were doing, the safety mavens demanded that the product be withdrawn becuase it might encourage kids to drive like that when they got older. 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on July 15, 2008, 12:38:36 PM
I think that crossing was done by either Atlas or Aurora.  Believe it or not, just because of what you were doing, the safety mavens demanded that the product be withdrawn becuase it might encourage kids to drive like that when they got older. 

Sems to me Tyco may have had something like that, too, since they marketed both train sets and slot-car sets.

Jhanecker2

I remember seeing some operating road systems in the current Walthers catalog. Take a look in there. I think one of the European companys makes programble traffic scenes .

tod513

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Think about it.  When we pull up in our vehicles to lowered bars and flashing lights and watch a train pass in front of us, where are we? 

Are we at a railroad crossover or a railroad crossing?

I've seen this thread for 10 days now and have just caught this. 

One of the most powerful things about Google is that it recognizes and corrects spelling errors, and in some cases word errors.

Caffeine drip, please.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

VTBob

Aurora made the crossing. Brass track & can be found on ebay occassionally.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

StanierJack

Going back further than Tyco, British maker Tri-Ang made a system where a locomotive could pull a lorry trailer in OO/HO.

It was called Minicrail, and looked like this:

The range was novel, as you could drive cars/buses/steam lorries onto a wagon and drive the locomotive.

Here is the Tri-ang crossover:

More can be read here:

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OO/indexminicrail.html

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/Minic/list4.htm

StanierJack

"I took an unholy delight in trying to nail the cars with the train if the racers didn't stop for me..."

I think you will find this Tri-ang pic to your taste then: :)

Santa Fe buff

My unlce said he has some, he has his slot cars running, and the cars stop and the gates go down for the train.
- Joshua Bauer