News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recent swapmeet finds

Started by jon grant 4472, March 05, 2007, 04:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon grant 4472

I went down to a swapmeet near Harrogate yesterday. Here are a few of the bits and pieces I managed to pick up.

Bachmann 2-10-2

Brass Baldwin 0-6-0 - oil tender

Brass Baldwin loco - sloped tender

They weren't cheap, but are exactly what I need to round off my Belt Railway of Chicago steam fleet.

Jon

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

lanny

Jon,

You have done an incredible job capturing the feel of 'Industrial Chicago' ... your scenery is superb. (The locomotives are very nice as well :-)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

JM

You gotta love swapmeets and auctions.....never know what might be waiting there for you to add to your empire.
  Last year I went to an auction at a local VFD, they advertised ''HO scale trains'' in the paper and I was curious about what it might be,  I was pleasantly surprised to find an entire layout had been disassembled and boxed, there were some very nice locos and cars, well kept and in perfect shape, some Bachmann Spectrum diesels and Rivarossi steamers. The auctioneer started with the locos first, the high bid was $8 for choice, the bidder took two steamers and that was all, I got a PRR diesel [Spectrum-older model] and a Rivarossi steamer that needed a bit of work {someone had dropped it and broken off the pilot and coupler], I wasn't looking for locos I was more interested in rolling stock and when the rolling stock  came up the high bid was $10 for choice, so I passed on them, but, the best was yet to come..........
  The boxes of scenery, buildings and accessories came up, and the high bid was $6 for choice, the bidder only took one box of the 12 or so that were there, so when they brought them back up I was the only bidder and got them for $2 a box  for choice....so I took them all,[almost copuldn't fit them in the extended cab of my truck] when I got them home I was so surprised, buildings, accessories,figures,landscaping stuff from all sorts of manufacturers, Bachmann,Life-Like,Woodland Scenics,Model Power, I did a rough estimate and figured it was in the $700-$800 range retail, there were working accessories like a Bachmann bascule bridge,lighted freight station,several old TYCO operating loaders and trackside accessories.
   The buidling kit parts were all there, and included several detail kits and ''out-of-production'' kits, some built kits, some still in the plastic wrap,a whole flat of really nice die-cast vehicles, bundles of new track,switches and bridges. It took me two evenings to sort it all, I was in 7th heaven!!  lol   the lanscaping stuff alone was amazing, unopened packages of ballast,turf,road making dry mix,trees and shrubs.......I won't need landscaping materials for a while!!   I spent about $40 that nite, and ended up with so much stuff I had to buy new organizer bins and storage boxes to hold it all!!   So keep an eye out for adverts about swapmeets,auctions,even yard\garage sales.....you might end up getting an early Christmas present!!!!!!