News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout Numbers

Started by johnd, July 18, 2008, 09:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnd

Newbie question.

Could someone tell me what the number in a turnout description represents? Eg. #4 Turnout, #6 Turnout etc. Is it the length of the turnout or the angle of the curve? I am working in N scale and Bachmann only makes one turnout in N EZ Track. I would like to run 2 lines closer together than the Bachmann turnout allows me too. I know I can do it with a Wye or crossover but those babies are $$$$$$.

Jhanecker2

From what I remember it describes the number of lengths of the width of the the track gauge to cross over.     Numbered turnouts have straight track on both legs with the exception of the standard E-Z track turnout which has a 18 inch radius curve in HO scale. There are of course  curved turnouts with curves on both legs but not in E-Z track. You might want to acquire a Walthers N & Z scale catalog to find out what other kinds of track are available for your scale . Sorry about the expense but hobbies and other vices cost time and / or money and usually both.
There are a number of books on track laying on the market, check your local hobby store or brows through the Walthers Catalog. Good Luck !     John II

morrisf

The turnout number describes the angle at which the rails cross at the frog:

In a no. 4 turnout, the rails are 1 foot apart at a distance 4 feet beyond the frog

In a no. 6 turnout, the rails are 1 foot apart at a distance 6 feet beyond the frog

In a no. 8 turnout, the rails are 1 foot apart at a distance 8 feet beyond the frog

and so on.

From this information, you can see that lower tunout numbers mean a larger angle at the frog.

Big locomotives require a higher turnout number, as do higher train speeds; otherwise, they are derailment prone.

The above defines turnouts with straight rails through the frog, as is most-often done on full-size railroads.

To match certain curved track sections for convenient layout design and construction in model form, some manufacturers fabricate turnouts with a curve through the frog. In those cases, the turnout may be specified as a radius of curvature, rather than a number.

Morris

Joe Satnik

Dear Johnd,

I'm slow, 2 others beat me to the punch.  I'll post anyway.

Roughly speaking, on a numbered turnout the divergent track moves sideways 1 unit of length for every # units of length down the straight route. 

So, a #4 turnout diverges 1 inch sideways for every 4 inches down the straight route. 

A higher # turnout is naturally longer than a lower # turnout. 

The regular Bachamann N turnout is not numbered.  Its divergent route is curved as a "drop in" replacement for a common radius curve section. 

If you want close sidings with the regular N turnout, you will have start cutting the divergent route...not a pretty sight.  You would have to be careful to cut the curved portion square and plumb. 

In addition to square and plumb, its "return to parallel" curve would have to be cut exactly the length needed to get the siding back paralell to the main route.  A bit of a challenge...   

IIRC, the regular N turnout has a power routed diverging route. 

Hopefully someone from the N Scale board will jump in to confirm or refute. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

johnd

Thanks gentleman. I guess to do what I want I got to use Atlas #6 Turnouts and flex track.

The standard turnout for Bachmann N scale gives a distance between parallel tracks that is way too much. I wish they would at least make more than what I am guessing is approx. a #4!!!

JerryB

Quote from: johnd on July 18, 2008, 01:24:34 PM
The standard turnout for Bachmann N scale gives a distance between parallel tracks that is way too much. I wish they would at least make more than what I am guessing is approx. a #4!!!
johnd:

There is no magic about the length of any track component. To create a crossover from turnouts where the diverging rails are too long, putting the tracks too far apart, you can cut equal amounts off the diverging (curved) end of each of the turnouts to get the distance between tracks that you want. Try laying them over each other at the parallel spacing you want and you will see what I am describing.

You can similarly shorten any turnout to fit in lots of positions. Just get a Dremel tool with a large diameter thin abrasive blade. For parallel tracks, you must cut the same amount off both turnouts. Measure at least twice . . .

Still, #4 turnouts are really tight and should only be used for short equipment operating at slow speeds, such as a yard or industrial trackage. If you have the room, #6 and larger turnouts are much more suited to a full range of operations.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

johnd

Thanks Jerry. I will experiment a bit with a turnout I have that shorted out.

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.