News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RC Conversion on Spectrum Models

Started by srrailroader, July 20, 2008, 02:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srrailroader

I have one of the first run Ely Thomas Shays which I converted to RC.  The project was fairly simple the set-up works very well.  Since then I have purchased a Climax and another later model Shay.  The electronics are different on these two engines.  On the first Shay I ran the battery power back through the power feeds in the circuitry after removing the power pickups from the wheels.  The accessory power taps on the new engines are not as heavy as on the early Shay and I do not want to take a chance of overloading and burning out the wiring.  Question is, is the wiring and circuitry heavy enough to handle the current back to the motors, or do I need to figure out the wiring to beef up the wiring.  I am using a trailing car with batteries and RC unit that plugs into the engines using a computer patch cable plugging into a computer jack mounted discreetly at the back on the engine, which is wired to the engine's electronics to provide power and control to the motors and an auxilliary feed to trigger the whistle circuit of the sound system.  The patch cable is standard twisted pairs which are 24 gauge stranded wire, so they are not that heavy themselves and I have had no problem, although I use two wires each for the positive and negative battery leads.  Just looking to see if anyone has had some experience in converting the newer engines to RC without having to replace all the wiring.

srrailroader

Steve Stockham

Honestly, I'd check with Dave Goodson at NWRCS (425-823-3507) as he is one of the top experts on r/c battery installations with Bachmann products! He would be able to give you a difinitive answer.

Jon D. Miller

srrailroader,
I have at least one example of each locomotive you mention. These locomotives have been in service since within a week or so of their introduction.  All have been converted to battery/RC using trailing cars.

In no case have I found the wiring, as installed by the factory, to be insufficient to handle current loads.  The Climax and each version of the Shay to include the three truck have/are run extensively.  Other members of our club that run battery/RC have not found it necessary to rewire any of these locomotives.

I have however hard wired the motors to the chassis eliminating the slip ring and plungers on all of these locomotives.  The spring loaded plungers will have a tendency to loose contact with the slip ring.  In the case of the Climax the weak link is the springs that transmit power and hold/push the plungers against the split ring. Other than hard wiring to eliminate the plunger contacts I'd not rewire.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)