News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Sound

Started by James Thomas, July 16, 2008, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Thomas

Mr Bach Man,

The new releases "sound" terriffic, except I don't see any sound versions.  Is sound a thing of the past in On30?

-Jim

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
Thus far, sound seems to be added a year or so after the first release.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

C.S.R.R. Manager

If sound versions of locos are going to follow a year or so later, it would sure be nice if the sound system were offered as a separate item.  Especially if it were a real "plug n play" system, speaker included, with no soldering required.  

These latest releases are so nice that I couldn't stand to wait a year for a sound version.  I'll probably install my own sound, but if I knew that a plug-n-play Bachmann sound system was coming out later, I would wait and buy it from you.

M

0n30nutz

Sountraxx, Digitrax, and MRC all make sound only decoders that only require 2 leads be soldered, making them real easy to install, even for those new to soldering. ;D
  They are not hard to do. 8)
  With a little practice, you'll be soldering away....to the point of putting DCC in everything down to Porters. :o
  Yep, been there, done that....

Regards,

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

C.S.R.R. Manager

True, there are lots of sound options, and I think the number of options is a problem for newbies and the electronically challenged.  If there were a simple solution, especially a Bachmann-branded solution, I think more people would take advantage of it, and more sound systems would be sold.  [Can you tell I've been in too many marketing meetings lately?]

Personally, I sort of enjoy soldering, and I've got some new QSI hi-bass speakers to try out.  Decent bass has always been the "missing link" in onboard sound, I think, and I'm curious to see how the new speakers perform.

M

0n30nutz

BMann contracts Sountraxx to supply specific/adapted Tsunami sound decoders for various locos. They have not been made available to "us', and may never be. I would be more than interested, even though I do my own installations...I'll take easy any time I can get it.
  One of the guys I admire for creativity purchased an HO model, yanked the BMann Tsunami, installed it in his 4-4-0, and sold the HO loco on that eBag site. Now that's what I'm talkin about!
  Maybe if we all ask we shall receive. In the meantime, the soldering iron is always ready...

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

FrankS

C.S..R. Manager said :
If sound versions of locos are going to follow a year or so later, it would sure be nice if the sound system were offered as a separate item.  Especially if it were a real "plug n play" system, speaker included, with no soldering required. 

What a great idea ! If a plug in sound upgrade was announced as going to be available, a helluva lot more people would buy now instead of hanging on for sound versions.

A complete "plug n play" system would be ideal for us newbies who are  scared off by all the variations and options you find when you look at a 'sound' website, it's all just too complicated, and when it comes to downloading sounds and tuning decoders with them ~ my mind just goes into 'overload'.

KISS is a great maxim ~ how about KISB ~ Keep It Simple (for us) Bachmann !

Frank S.,
President K.I.T.,
Tasmania,
Australia

James Thomas

Terriffic idea Frank.  My local hobby shops still have non-sound Forneys they can't sell since the sound versions came out.  Still waiting for the original 4-4-0 to come out with sound.  If I knew plug and play sound systems were coming down the road I would be more inclined to buy the new products when they come out.

Let's do it.

-Jim

C.S.R.R. Manager

I'm guessing it's a business question -- Does Bachmann make more money when they can revive an old design by releasing a sound version down the road?  Or would they make more money on the sales of the sound system as a separate item?  I have no idea, but as a consumer, I'm not going to wait an extra year or two for the latest Bachmann locos, in the hope that they will release a sound version.  And after I've bought one loco, I'm probably going to install my own sound from other manufacturers, instead of buying another version of the same loco with sound.  [If Bachmann/Soundtraxx were to offer a plug-n-play system, I would much rather buy it from them.]

Also, from a budget standpoint, being able to purchase a loco this month, and the sound system a couple of months from now, spreads out the cost, and makes it much easier to get approval from the boss [wife].