News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Electric Pickups Plunger Replacement

Started by Model Tug, July 22, 2008, 12:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Tug

On a Bachmann 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler-The pickups need replacement.
They are small plastic pockets with a coiled spring and plunger in each pickup. (4 each) They have gotten hot and melted and fused the spring into the plastic pocket so that they no longer move.

Has anyone replaced them with the all metal pocket, spring, plunger from LGB?
If so how did you install them?

Rod

James

I have used the LGB brushes with great success.  I made a hard wood mounting piece drilled a hole in it the size on the brush,  stick the brush in the hole in ther wood, solder the old pickup wire on, put on some adhesive on to keep the brush in place,  then bond the brust and fixture in place and no more problems.  Be sure and check the brush depth before bonding the bursh to the wood.

James

Jim Banner

Click on the link below for the ultimate answer on using LGB pickups on both the locomotive and the tender. 
http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#pickups

While you are there, read a lot more good stuff about what you can do to your Big Hauler to improve its operation in other ways.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Model Tug

Thank you all for the information. I mounted the LGB plunger in a small block of wood,soldered the pick-up wires to the inside ends and bonded the assemblies to the frame with CA glue. They are an excellent fix.
These web pages are a great place, for "How To" help!!
Rod