News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ho Gs4 daylight...why not in N scale?

Started by nscaler711, February 27, 2007, 09:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nscaler711

to Bach-Mann
why not build a Gs4 daylight in N scale?
halmark had ortaments Gs4 Daylight in n scale
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

ben_not_benny

nscaler711

that i do know but i want a cheaper model of it and not have to search e-bay
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'll pass along the request.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

brokemoto

In N scale, the manufacturers tend to shy from doing anything that another one has already done.  This is not always the case, but is the genreal rule.

Kato,  LL and B-mann have done F-units, recently, and Intermountain is running through the list.  I suspect that IM did not shy from them because:

1.  The B-mann Standard Line F-9 is more a T-O-Y than a model.  The B-mann PLUS Fs had problems and the SPECTRUM Fs are mediodre locomotives.

2.  The LL FP-whatever is more a T-O-Y than a model.  Even though it is a good puller and not a bad runner, its features make it a mongrel F-unit and the power chassis is  out-of-date.  Walthers has chosen not to upadate it.

3.  Kato makes very nice F-units, but the road name selection is limited.  The only variety in road names that Kato seems to have is every scheme that ATSF ever had, even if it was on only one or two units,  or even considered, but never used.

The C-C GS-4 comes on a CMStP&P 4-8-4 chassis.  The runnability is acceptable, but for a three-hundred banana list, I expect better than 'acceptable'.  C-C sells it in black, but unfortunately, the font for the SP roadname, in black,  is incorrect.  The font does appear correct for the Daylight color scheme.

HO does not seem to have the duplication problem that N does.  THere are a coule of varieties of USRA light mikados and pacifics, as well as USRA 0-6-0s.  More than one manufacturer sells F-units and GP-whatevers.

ben_not_benny

I wanted some modern diesels, such as the GE Evolution series.

Bachmann should continue to use the B23-7/H16-44 drive on it's future N scale models.

thirdrail

Bachmann has done the PRR K4s as a Spectrum model in HO scle, believe it was the first Spectrum model. Yet, it has never been duplicated in N scale, although the Consolidation, Light USRA Mountain, and USRA 2-6-6-2 were.

It would be nice if the K4s were made in N, us SPF's would sure appreciate it and buy many.  8)