Williams looks cartoon like.

Started by Diesel #261, July 28, 2008, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel #261

Does anyone here think that Williams by Bachmann looks cartoon like? ???
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

Frisco

Yes, but that is what they want as many of their are reamakes of postwar Lionel models. The offical term is "toy like". :)

OGReditor

Those Williams by Bachmann NW2s are as nice looking, and as properly proportioned, as any offered by the various other O gauge competitors.  They are nicely made and operate smoothly and reliably without all the high-tech (and sometimes problematic) electronic gizzmos crammed into many of today's trains.

"Cartoon like" may apply to Thomas & Friends trains, but that's about it, and it's usually wise to reserve judgment about trains or any other products until you've had some experience with them yourself.  Painting with a broad brush can be very risky. 

In my experience Williams products have consistently performed very well indeed and are a great value for those interested in getting started in O gauge railroading, as well as for more experienced hobbyists who enjoy conventional operations and who are not worried about counting rivets.

therentster

For whatever it's worth, I just sold 6 MTH PS2 locomotives and a complete DCS system and now have 6 beautiful new Williams reproductions of Lionel engines that I wanted as a teenager and could not afford at that time.  That along with my On30 makes this old feller one very happy railroader!!! If they look like cartoons then I like cartoons.  Bring 'em on!!

Neil MacDonald

jsmvmd

OGReditor

Re: Williams looks cartoon like.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those Williams by Bachmann NW2s are as nice looking, and as properly proportioned, as any offered by the various other O gauge competitors.  They are nicely made and operate smoothly and reliably without all the high-tech (and sometimes problematic) electronic gizzmos crammed into many of today's trains.

Dear OGR,

Not to mention they are nearly bullet proof. The guys that run them at our train club love the daylights out of them!

Best Wishes,

Jack

John Brennan

I guess if you find them cartoon-like then you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Personally, I prefer Williams over all the others. As far as a perceived toy-like appearance, that's a good thing. I like/want to play with my toys, not worry about breaking them or "lowering their value." YMMV

DominicMazoch

I can get 3 of the UP Heritage units for the price of one of the other guys!.  OK, the real engine is a 70, not a 90.  But for my conv. tastes and buget, they are fine,

Now my Jerry Williams TMK painted for SP....runs like a Tinex!

Brady

<< Does anyone here think that Williams by Bachmann looks cartoon like? >>

No..

From http://www2.go-concepts.com/~raistlin/prrhpb/pennwest.html

Diesel #261

Sorry I haven't been posting for a while.  I have no problem with the williams trains.  In fact I would run them if I had the cash to buy them. :D  But anyways I guess everyone has their own opinion.
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

Guilford Guy

Maybe some models, the the FA-2's look nice, as with the 72ft Streamlined Cars. I think MTH's models look much more toy like, based on the images on their website.
Alex

NarrowGSouth

Quote from: Pittsburg & Shawmut on July 28, 2008, 01:29:17 PM
Does anyone here think that Williams by Bachmann looks cartoon like? ???

This coming from a Thomas fan?

mikemarxs

My experience with Williams trains is a good one; the engines and rolling stock are either scale or semi scale in size. There are some items which have stamped railings rather than wire, which is similar to postwar Lionel. It probably wouldn't add too much to the cost for Williams to replace these toy-like features to make them more realistic. The number of railroads represented is fantastic; you can put together a consist with almost any engine. In conclusion, I feel that Williams is the way to go for reasonably priced realism, without the electronics which add many dollars to the cost of a model railroad.

pjoman

I have been a williams customer for eight years. I have four deisels, one GG1 and two steamers. Run them all the time. Never a prob.  ;)
And yes, i was skeptical too.